Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Creationist by my own logical choice, and even though this flick is mostly about evolution creating life and sustaining it, it is also about the fact that the world is being decimated by humans.

Most ways I am not an Eco-fanboi, although I would like to be less of an abuser to the environment. I feel that all the efforts to minimize the carbon footprint by each and every one of us is quite overblown and in that mindset, I would PM my reasons for feeling so.

This is not a forum for me to be preaching to anyone - but this is just an eye-opener for everyone. Glenn Close, the narrator is a Greenie akin to so many Hollyweird-types, who may or may not have misplaced reasons for being so.

Certainly most hyper-eco-freques are in it for the notoriety and prestige.

What's discernible here in this movie is that man has wrought a lot of destruction to the planet upon which we live. And although this movie also states that something can be done before it's too late, I take a somewhat different view. I do not however believe human intervention is what will save the day.

In any event, I recommend you get some popcorn, maybe a beer or some other adult beverage and sit back and watch a thoroughly wonderful movie with some of the most beautiful photography that I've seen in years.

Of course, this is free too - but most of all it is something to show that there are serious forces involved in the situation in which we find ourselves.

I did not produce this movie; I make no money on your looking at it; it is a YouTube Free full-length video and is not 'preaching' in the least.

Ask yourselves these questions before you watch it to see if you can figure out the obvious:
  • 1) What city in the world is the most wasteful of resources? (I kinda thought this personally)
    2) What city in the world has NO resources and totally depends on outside EVERYTHING for 100% of it's existence? (This is SO-o-o obvious when you see it)
    3) What can be done about what you are about to see?

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/movie/home-engli ... =mv_b_ch_2

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Photography was nice, but without captions it was hard to know where and what I was looking at.

Wastefulness is the name of the game. If we could live by "waste not, want not" it would be a different story. Haiti is the perfect example. Why is there no re-foresting program? All those barren hills in a tropical location just boggles the mind.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those people in Haiti are in 'Survival Mode' and don't think that far in advance - kinda a human trait.

If you wait to see the credits at the end of the movie, you'll get to see the lands you view in the movie as they show the places and excerpts out of the movie to reference them together.

All-in-all an eye-opening flick - but I don't think any resolve by humans will come from it - and the narrator is suspect at best and terribly prejudiced at worst.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
SurferJoe said:
Those people in Haiti are in 'Survival Mode' and don't think that far in advance - kinda a human trait.
I understand what you're saying and I agree that at this point, it would seem to be low on their list of priorities. I guess what I was getting at is that that condition existed before the quake though. It seems that it's always been kind of a 'give them fish" vs "teach them to fish" type situation. But then what's new under the sun?

I agree that it won't be any human resolve type solution that will be the end of this. Without getting any deeper I do believe however that the ducks are being set up. 2012? Not necessarily but I do believe that most reading this will see it in their lifetime. Sounds like the movie agrees with that.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you see the part about Easter Island and how they denuded their whole island until they couldn't sustain their own lives nor make boats necessary to go to a different island and re-continue living?

They made those goofy gods and statues that ate every tree they had to support life on that island. The rains then further stripped the land of vital nutrients and crop failures were constant and devastating from that point on.

Shortsightedness is the bane of humanity as no-one thinks they are going to be impacted tomorrow by the things they are doing today.

Ah well - on it goes ....................... for a while anyway.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Watched bits and pieces over the course of the day. Will likely watch again when I can watch it all the way through. Certainly eye opening! :shock: Would be a great movie to share with teenagers!

Makes me think twice about wanting kids! Why bring them into a future that will be so bleak?

Although I am not the best steward of the environment at all times, I do my best to do good things. I think a slide show similar to this may have guided me to my current career in the Environmental Field. Right now my job is cleaning up water contamination but over the course of my career, I've worked to fix the messes my grandparents and parents generations made. I'd like to think that would knock a dent on my carbon footprint. I do have hope of living off the grid one day.

I think the noble thing for me to do is go abroad and begin helping some of the people in nations featured in this film.

Thanks for sharing Joe!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ask yourself a couple of questions.

How much CO2 is being pumped into the air by the fire in AZ? Answer, more than the total produced by humans during their entire existence on the planet.

How much is being produced by any of the currently erupting volcanoes around the globe? Answer, more than the total produced by humans since their existence on the planet.

Both of these events occur naturally and totally out of human control.

Now ask what human action is causing the ice caps to melt on Mars? (proven fact, the Mars ice caps are melting) Answer, Solar activity.

You can not have a furnace that is a million times bigger than you are tossing out radiation at a rate that reaches Earth in just days without seeing some huge effects. The Sun has been in a highly active state for over the last 30 years. A mere instant in the scheme to the universe.

If we completely stopped all activity that added anything to the air that would cause it to get hotter, we still could not counteract what gets dumped on us by nature everyday.

The photography was great, the message was complete Al Gore BS.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think there's a lot in what you say and I for one do NOT think all this is just man's doings either.

Still there are stories here that need to be told - the hunger and greed that keeps people from eating and having decent medicines and even medical people to help them.

I know that it's said that there'll always be the poor - but do they have to be treated so badly?

As far as Al Gore goes - well, he can't get far enough away for my thoughts. I dislike people who capitalize on misery and then bold-faced lie about their own prowess. He tickles the ears of those who like his message - and I'm not really one of them.

What I might say is that where there's smoke, there's usually something smoldering at least.

I am not living as I believe I should - and I seriously doubt many other people who work for a living - are either. I am plagued with age, bad bones, bad eyes, bad lungs and I have to try to not generate a bad attitude at the same time.

Life's not supposed to be like this. For one thing I know that polar bears can swim great distances, and penguins can very well live in a more temperate climate and propagate too.

I dunnow - but there's another situation ongoing here methinks.

Maybe I'll stop waxing prosaically now and just let things slide a little - or a lot.

But like the name the Chinese couple called their kid: "Sum Tingz Wong'.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well Joe,

You opened this by stating that you are a creationist.... as such it follows that you have an understanding of the nature of things beyond the grasp of most people. You know very well what is wrong, why things happen the way they do and the needy go hungry while the greedy eat steak, and how it all turns out.

That my dear friends is my last comment on this subject. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts