Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been curious lately about timing belts. I know isuzu recommends changing them every 120k but out of curiosity,is this necessary? Everywhere I turn people are saying timing belts are extremely small. On my quest to research the matter I found a post on a forum where a guy was asking how strong timing belts were because he bought an engine and the owner pulled the engine using a timing belt. That's just wack! But serious, could you get away with changing the pusher to make sure the timing belt is on there tightly and that it doesnt skip a tooth or something like that? How many people on here have had a timing belt break on them? and how many miles were on it?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
If you have any doubts......replace it. Change the water pump too while you're in there.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
First Isuzu I got I got for free because the belt was broken - at 165k. That one broke because the water pump seized.

This is why when people change the belt they also typically do the water pump, idler pulleys and so on.

Can you run them until they break - absolutely - and at least on the Isuzu v6 motors you will cause no additional damage. Guess it depends on your pain threshold. If it dies while full of luggage and family in the middle of west Kansas in July will it be a big deal to jog 100 miles or so in 105 degree heat to fetch the supplies you will need to change it? If not then we have a word for you - Ironman. LOL

Is like a lot of maintenance. Probably can get another year out of a bad fan belt. Change it when it goes bad. Probably a failing alternator can be stretched another couple of months and if you hit the starter just right with a hammer it still works great.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The timing belt is a lot like the ligaments that hold your muscles together. Its better to take good care of them and not wait until something is broken to worry about it.

With a V6, a broken timing belt means a tow truck to carry it from where ever it breaks to where ever you plan to have it fixed. It will never break in a convenient place. It will happen in rush hour traffic on the way to the hospital with your wife sitting in the truck having labor pains.

Its better to bite the bullet and replace it along with the water pump and tensioner before you experience trouble.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
vanduker said:
Can you run them until they break - absolutely - and at least on the Isuzu v6 motors you will cause no additional damage.
johnnie59 said:
With a V6, a broken timing belt means a tow truck to carry it from where ever it breaks to where ever you plan to have it fixed.
Just a note for clarity. It is implied above, but not specifically stated...This is NOT the case if you have a 4 cylinder.
I know you guys know, but I wouldn't want someone who didn't know let their timing belt break. You will cause yourself much anguish if you let this happen.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Yes the 4cyl isuzu motors are 'interference engines'. This means if the timing belt breaks your pistons will hit your valves & you will be looking at a full rebuild, most likely including a head replacement (costs more then a master rebuild kit).

It may be an annoyance to do when nothing seems wrong, but it really is worth avoiding the 'oh s**t!' factor of snapping it under load.

~psguardian

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
The manufacturers came up with the maintainance schedule for a reason. I change belts at recommended intervals. Actually I usually shorten most intervals because I want my stuff to last longer than the manufacturer does. They want it to last long enoungh to impress you to buy another. I only want to buy one!

Visual inspection means little. Timing belts that LOOK FINE break without warning. They have a designed in lifespan. I've been driving rubber band motors for many, many years. I have always followed the recommended change interval and have never had a broken belt. I don't intend to either. It just isn't worth it. 1st thing I do on a new to me used car that is unknown. Inspect and replace belts (including timing), hoses, fluids, tune up. I always assume previous owner never changed it when they were supposed to unless they can show me proof.

I normally buy OEM timing belts. I had a mechanic once tell me I needed to change my timing belt because I was past the interval and my belt said Isuzu on it and they had no record of servicing my truck. I laughed and told him it was a new belt with 25k on it. I don't trust parts store belts.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
the reason I have my rodeo was because the PO didn't know how to line up the new belt. I got it all lined up and she purrs like a kitten.

Make sure it all is lined up and then replace the water pump and then you will be good to go :D
'

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 2000 has almost 170K with stock belt. I took a quick look at it the other day and it still looks to be in good condition.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Nathan08T said:
My 2000 has almost 170K with stock belt. I took a quick look at it the other day and it still looks to be in good condition.
If I were you, I would be ordering a timing belt and water pump ASAP.

Its fine and dandy if it looks great, but if you want longevity out of any of your car's replace them when recommended. You are way past that for sure. :D

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well here's the thing, my tensioner is ticking so I have to go in there and change it, and while I'm at it I am going to replace the idler pulley, belt and water pump, the issue is not me not wanting to do those things. I'm just curious to how often these belts in reality break because of stress. It seems like most of the time when they do, as mentioned it's because one of the pulleys seizes up. And yes it is recommended to change the belt at 120k, but those estimations are generally given assuming the worst case scenarios. Just curious is all.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I changed the belt on my 99 Trooper last night. Used a Gates TCKWP303 kit which is new belt, water pump, idlers and tensioner for about 150.00 at RockAuto. Is a nice kit, the pieces look good and at 110k I'm glad to spend the money vs. the piece of mind that it isn't going to fail me.

If you just putt around town and can fix it yourself then I'd be tempted to run it until it fails but for me the wrecker bill alone to get it to the house would cost more than the parts to keep it from breaking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts