Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a PM from a member asking if he should hold on to his old rusted headlight or not. Here is my answer to him:
I don't know what your personal situation is but here's how I approach things like that due to my financial status and goegraphical location: I would first assess whether the part could possible be used. Look at it and see how it's put together and see if you could easily disassemble it for parts. If it's easy then keep the part in case you might need it later. Example; a piece of gravel could kick up on the hiway and break one of your headlights. If you would be able to replace the glass then you'd be in good shape. You may not get lucky next time you're looking for a headlight and you could be forced with needing to come up with $65 and you'll wish you had your old headlight if for no other reason but to put it in for a few weeks while you save up the $65. If you don't see any realistic potential of being to utilize the old headlight then see if there's anything that can be salvaged like springs, nolts, adjusters, etc. You may need those one day or they may come in handy down the road when you're working on something completely unrelated like a lawn mower and you need a spring, or a bolt, etc. WARNING: This is not an endeavor to be taken into lightly!! These parts are no good to you if you can't find them when you need them. Organization is the most important part. It's a complete waste of your time to salvage things that you'll never use. You're better off taking them to the scrap yard or throw them in a recycle bin and let somebody else give you a few bucks and at least the raw materials are back into the system.

In proofreading my response it became apparent that I was probably not "the norm" with regards to Trooper parts. When you are as far away from civilization as I am your whole life is just a little different.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I don't think it's weird at all. I scavenge as much as I can every time I hit pick n pull, down to screws, nuts, bolts, even wiring plugs. Good headlight extras are a necessity. As time goes on there will be dwindling numbers of available Troopers to use for parts. I rarely see a 1st gen in my local pick n pull. Interesting that the 1st gens I do see are all V-6 Troopers. Haven't seen a 1st gen 4 cylinder Trooper in ages.

********** said:
I received a PM from a member asking if he should hold on to his old rusted headlight or not. Here is my answer to him:
I don't know what your personal situation is but here's how I approach things like that due to my financial status and goegraphical location: I would first assess whether the part could possible be used. Look at it and see how it's put together and see if you could easily disassemble it for parts. If it's easy then keep the part in case you might need it later. Example; a piece of gravel could kick up on the hiway and break one of your headlights. If you would be able to replace the glass then you'd be in good shape. You may not get lucky next time you're looking for a headlight and you could be forced with needing to come up with $65 and you'll wish you had your old headlight if for no other reason but to put it in for a few weeks while you save up the $65. If you don't see any realistic potential of being to utilize the old headlight then see if there's anything that can be salvaged like springs, nolts, adjusters, etc. You may need those one day or they may come in handy down the road when you're working on something completely unrelated like a lawn mower and you need a spring, or a bolt, etc. WARNING: This is not an endeavor to be taken into lightly!! These parts are no good to you if you can't find them when you need them. Organization is the most important part. It's a complete waste of your time to salvage things that you'll never use. You're better off taking them to the scrap yard or throw them in a recycle bin and let somebody else give you a few bucks and at least the raw materials are back into the system.

In proofreading my response it became apparent that I was probably not "the norm" with regards to Trooper parts. When you are as far away from civilization as I am your whole life is just a little different.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Seems a lot like one of my responses. I save lots of hardware.

Jay you haven't seen the 4 bangers in the JY because they are still on the road! :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Guilty.......

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I was hanging on to a broken first gen grille for 2 years for some reason. I had no idea what I was planning to do with it. I ended up sending it to Cronk so he could reuse the center mesh for his hood scoops. Even if something seems like junk, it can still be of use to someone one day.

That being said though, I try not to keep too much either. There can be a line crossed between resourceful and hoarder.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Self admitted hoarder here. Thanks for the grille BTW, glad you saved it! :wink:

I had four or five coffee cans full of misc bolts and nuts from some vehicles I had parted. Just recently sorted them all by thread type for future use. They have come in handy several times already. I do the same with old appliances before tossing them. I took apart a VCR, microwave and a few old computers. The tiny little sheet metal screws and brackets are very handy to have on hand, not to mention the pulleys and gears inside the VCR. The microwave was stainless steel and guess what, that stainless will be used as to back an instrument panel or something.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Cronk said:
Self admitted hoarder here. Thanks for the grille BTW, glad you saved it! :wink:

I had four or five coffee cans full of misc bolts and nuts from some vehicles I had parted. Just recently sorted them all by thread type for future use. They have come in handy several times already. I do the same with old appliances before tossing them. I took apart a VCR, microwave and a few old computers. The tiny little sheet metal screws and brackets are very handy to have on hand, not to mention the pulleys and gears inside the VCR. The microwave was stainless steel and guess what, that stainless will be used as to back an instrument panel or something.
Carol gets irritated with me because I will come home from the pick and pull with random stuff. She just rolls her eyes, smiles and leaves me alone anymore. I do not think there is a thing wrong about it.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Cronk said:
I had four or five coffee cans full of misc bolts and nuts from some vehicles I had parted. Just recently sorted them all by thread type for future use.
Sort shmort.

That's what a great big work surface is for. Dump them out, look through for what you want, scoop the rest back into the cans. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts