Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not selling this so dont ask me questions. If i was in the market and the wife would say yes, it would be another story.... Down here cars dont rust, so if its from the local area it would be a good buy! I generally peruse craigslist looking for deals and just saw this. The title says 1986 but the description says 1989...

http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/cto/2680737092.html

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
That's odd, I wasn't aware that first gen RSs came with the V6...in fact, was the V6 even available in 89?

·
Registered
734 Posts
It's an 89 but the RS did not come with the v6. Someone swapped that in there for sure...or he is confused :lol:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
BigSwede said:
That's odd, I wasn't aware that first gen RSs came with the V6...in fact, was the V6 even available in 89?
The GM 2.8 V6 was available in the Trooper from 89 to 91, but the 89 Trooper RS only came with the 2.6 I4. Also, only the RS's with the Big Tire Pkg came with the 4.77 gears. The few RS's that did not have the Big Tire Pkg came with the 4.56 gears. HTH.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Yes, the V-6 was available in '89. I had one. It died at a young age. That GM 2.8 was a POS. I do wish I had kept the Trooper though. Knowing what I know now, I would have swapped a larger engine into it.

BigSwede said:

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's funny. I swear I saw that truck back in Sept heading down to padre on hwy100 around los fresnos. Sticks out cause my wife joked about me buying it :roll: I wonder if that's really the one? I mean how many 2 door white troopers does you see nowadays. Anyway give it a good once or twice over. If it's been to the beach then it has rust.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I'd be careful on that one. Too much conflicting information.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yeah, I called the guy an asked questions. He thought it was a v6 but I assured him it wasn't. We talked for a while and then he calle the previous owner and asked him questions. The previous owner told the seller that the RS has a Dana 60 front and rear and also has 4.66 gears. I started to correct him but told him to send me pictures instead. I'll let you all know. :D

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I'd love to pick up a rust free RS and swap in my V6 drivetrain. When I don't need the 4 doors anymore and want more of a toy I think I will have to do it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
robs said:
That's funny. I swear I saw that truck back in Sept heading down to padre on hwy100 around los fresnos. Sticks out cause my wife joked about me buying it :roll: I wonder if that's really the one? I mean how many 2 door white troopers does you see nowadays. Anyway give it a good once or twice over. If it's been to the beach then it has rust.
It sure is amazing how rusty the cars are on SPI. I havent had a chance to call the guy, maybe tomorrow. If anyone gets better pics from the seller, post them.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
contdevelop said:
I am not selling this so dont ask me questions. If i was in the market and the wife would say yes, it would be another story.... Down here cars dont rust, so if its from the local area it would be a good buy! I generally peruse craigslist looking for deals and just saw this. The title says 1986 but the description says 1989...

http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/cto/2680737092.html
Hey man, I called and talked to this guy for about 15 minutes or so, he's going to send me some pictures. Let me know if you're going to buy it or not. If not I would like to have somebody local go by and take a look at it for me before I drive 15 hours each way to get it. Let me know where you stand on it and whether you'd be up for looking at it or possibly picking it up for me and holding onto it until I can get down ther to get it. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks like the guy reposted the ad and increased his asking price. I assume one of you isuzu aficionados called him and said it was a collectors item, because thats what he put in the description. However, he is still sticking with his dana 60 and 4.66 gears...... I am not calling the guy. The ad also says 192k miles and he claims it was built in the USA. Reading this ad reminds me of people who claim they have V6's in their jeep's, when they are I-6's. So many clueless people out there spewing false info.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
The guy just bought it from the original owner, did some work on it and is trying to sell it and make a little money. He's passing info that he got from the original owner that he obviously didn't write down, or maybe the original owner's memory was foggy. If I was closer I'd deinitely go look at it. I'm not going to drive 15 hours to look at it that's for sure. I personally think it would be a really good buy. Somebody should go look at this thing. I think at $1200 it would be a good buy.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
geez c'mon you guys. The price is $100 more than the first ad. Big deal. Hard to tell from the photos, but it doesn't look too bad. And we all know that it's not a dana rear end and chances are that no one swapped in a dana. I paid twice that for mine and had to do a butt load of work after the fact. For half the price I paid for mine I would buy it in a minute. This ad screams I'm ig'nant.

Someone please buy it! Or buy it for me! I'd love to have a ragged RS to mod. Mine is too cherry to mess with, which makes me sad, but what are ya gonna do?

contdevelop said:
It looks like the guy reposted the ad and increased his asking price. I assume one of you isuzu aficionados called him and said it was a collectors item, because thats what he put in the description. However, he is still sticking with his dana 60 and 4.66 gears...... I am not calling the guy. The ad also says 192k miles and he claims it was built in the USA. Reading this ad reminds me of people who claim they have V6's in their jeep's, when they are I-6's. So many clueless people out there spewing false info.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I think the guy bought it, got into it and found out it's a lot more than he feels like dealing with and now he's trying to dump it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts