Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Back from vacation. Next "must do" items I hope to get done the next few weeks:

Tint (should get done this week)
Rust neutralizing and paint touch up - door bottoms are getting rough on the inside, one wheel looks a bit rough (former spare), and all the frickin' white overspray all over everything is driving me nuts.
Picking up a bunch of parts from Lorenzo's recent parts rig (nasty610's old rig) so that will be window track/seal stuff, shocks, ignition stuff, etc
All new urethane bushings in the leafs and sway bar.

That should get me into a good spot to determine whether I want to keep it or sell it. I love driving it and messing with it, but I hate driving it in traffic to work. If it had 200hp it would be different. Honestly I could spend another $5k on this thing easily before I'd say I was "done" with it. But that's a lot of money and more importantly a lot of time I don't really can't spend at this point. I'd love to tinker on it every weekend, but I just don't have that luxury and I can't prioritize it over so much other stuff. So I'm going to take it this far and see what I really want to do.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Looks like my pics done broked.

I will go back and edit if the site admin isn't going to undo what he did.

But a little progress for today:

IMG_20180622_124533.jpg

IMG_20180622_124545.jpg

Tint, check. Much nicer to drive in the hot hot sun now.

Heading to Lorenzo's for more parts later this afternoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks Jonathan! Hope you are able to get in a little tinkering time on yours here and there.

The new tint make a YUGE difference. Holy Moly. So that has been fantastic. Have to recharge the AC every few weeks, but I can cope. I've been recently dealing with a bit of a rough idle at start up, esp if I left the AC on from the day before. Had a vacuum line come off, but after reattaching, it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Once it's warm and going, it's no big deal. Hoping to get it straightened out after the next round of tinkering.

I got my window track pieces, ignition coil, catalytic converter, shocks, interior dome light, carpet strip hold down, and window crank for this rig from lorenzo (nasty's old trooper), as well as the dizzy for my red rig. Still need to get a new fan clutch for that one - the one on nasty's trooper was in pretty good shape but not super duper buttery smooth, and new ones aren't expensive, so I figured I'll just order one this week. Be nice to have big red back on the road! I need to get some more 4 low therapy and fast.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Did some rust-neutralizing. Armed with a flathead screw driver, a wide scraper, and a wire brush, I got rid of as much loose scale and flaking overspray. Then to the pressure washer to get as much else as I could get. Then a couple cans of rust converter to the frame, body mounts, and a few spots on the rockers and door bottoms. Then I got a few cans of flat black to get the inner fenders and front and rear skid plates, as well as a can of hammered black for the grill. Looks WAY better.

MVIMG_20180708_203744.jpg

IMG_20180708_203914.jpg

Screenshot_20180708-205307.png

Next I want to do the bumpers and wheels. Anyone know if there's something off the shelf that matches close enough to those grays?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
paulevans76 said:
Then I got a few cans of flat black to get the inner fenders and front and rear skid plates, as well as a can of hammered black for the grill. Looks WAY better.
Wow, what a difference! The weathering on my Trooper is nearing the point where it looks more like neglect than patina, I might need to be a copy cat. :mrgreen: Did you remove the rubber mat things on the front wheel wells before spraying or just leave them in and spray them too?

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I removed them to get to some spots with the rust converter, and then put them back on and might have given them a mist of the rattle can. They had a bunch of white overspray and grime on them already.

In other news, I did a little trial and error on the front bumper paint. Cast Aluminum ended up too light, so I'll have to go grab something else - probably the Argent silver. I had grabbed a couple cans of different silvers and was initially going to pull the rear bumper and do it first. Well, the first rear bumper bolt broke off so I figured I'll save that project for a later time. I need to bang some dents out of it but I don't want to break every bolt in the frame getting it off. Ugh. Time to get some of that high test Kroil or whip up a custom batch of penetrating oil and soak everything.

Rust also struck when I tried to get the stupid O2 sensor out. I've managed to round off the dang thing with a 7/8-22mm O2 sensor wrench, which isn't good. It's closer to 22mm so I'm going to try to get a 22mm box end wrench on it to get it out, after multiple further judicious applications of penetrating oil. It mustn't have had any anti-seize on it when it was installed.

Along with getting the 02 sensor done, I'm also going to pull the TBI unit and rebuild/clean the heck of it and every sensor and hopefully get it running tip-top and get rid of some of the rich fuel smell.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Been driving the heck out of this thing. Replaced the crummy split aftermarket shift book with a nice used one from MrDunge. But, over the weekend, I was gifted a nice commuter car (07 Camry) by my father in law. So after I finish out a few projects left on this, she will be going up for sale. I'm going to install a rebuilt TB, leaf n shackle bushings, new sway bar bushings, shocks, and the steering box I'm picking up from Lorenzo. That should take care of most of the minor issues it has left. Maybe a little touch up here and there and give it a good scrub down. If anyone is interested in a solid trooper, let me know.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got front sway bar bushings and end links done, 1 front shock, and one rear shackle bushing set in. And the spare throttle body is still in pieces :lol: Getting there tho!

·
Registered
124 Posts
paulevans76 said:
Been driving the heck out of this thing. Replaced the crummy split aftermarket shift book with a nice used one from MrDunge. But, over the weekend, I was gifted a nice commuter car (07 Camry) by my father in law. So after I finish out a few projects left on this, she will be going up for sale. I'm going to install a rebuilt TB, leaf n shackle bushings, new sway bar bushings, shocks, and the steering box I'm picking up from Lorenzo. That should take care of most of the minor issues it has left. Maybe a little touch up here and there and give it a good scrub down. If anyone is interested in a solid trooper, let me know.
Just curious. What do you think you'll ask for her?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Somewhere around 3k to start, and hope to get something above 2500. But we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Did get the throttle body done, but I need to run through the IAC/min idle/TPS reset procedures. I marked the sensors before disassembly, but not well enough apparently, since it idles at 1500 RPM :blackeye:

One of the rear shock stems is disintegrating as I'm trying to hold it with any sort of wrench or vice grips and loosen the mounting nut. Such a PITA!!!! Also gotta swap out the steering box as well and that is looking like fun with the oil cooler lines all in the way. Time to get dirty!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I actually had to get a sawsall one time to cut one of my front shocks off one of my Troopers. That was a pain but it was on the front. I can only imagine how tough a rear one is.

·
Super Moderator
2,469 Posts
paulevans76 said:
Did get the throttle body done, but I need to run through the IAC/min idle/TPS reset procedures. I marked the sensors before disassembly, but not well enough apparently, since it idles at 1500 RPM :blackeye:

One of the rear shock stems is disintegrating as I'm trying to hold it with any sort of wrench or vice grips and loosen the mounting nut. Such a PITA!!!! Also gotta swap out the steering box as well and that is looking like fun with the oil cooler lines all in the way. Time to get dirty!
If you're going to throw the shock, just break it off.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
That's probably what I'll end up doing if I can't find a way to hold the body of the shock tight. I might have an oil change strap wrench or something. I was trying the stem since it worked on one of the others. Nuts on a factory shock that spent a couple decades in DC for some reason don't like to break free very easily :drunken:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Took me 2 hrs to get those other 3 shocks. Ended up cutting the nut and stem on the front and used a pipe wrench on the shock body on the rear 2. It was HOT also.

Throttle body is doing better. Discovered I had a vacuum line off which was why it was idling high. Now it purrs like a kitten. I discoed the battery to clear the codes and seemed to be in the clear. TBI rebuild cleared the MAP related codes, but the damn O2 popped up again. I can't get that sumbitch out no matter what. I'm going to see if I can get a shop to help me replace it without cutting and welding.

Also just really not into tackling the steering box R&R. I may leave that one to the next owner.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Replaced steering box. Not fun! DIRTY greasy job, but got-r-did. Only goof up was when I put the steering shaft back on, it was slightly off, so now the steering wheel is cocked about 10* clockwise. Will fix as soon as I have the time and a surplus of "zen" to deal with that freakin' thing :D Also when I was adding fluid, and cycling the steering to make sure it was full, the motor was running and it sprung a leak in a heater hose. Luckily it was a quick easy fix.

Thought I'd fixed the leak in the windshield washer tank up front, too, but nope. I think I need to get a new pump for it to get a new rubber bushing/seal for it. Ugh. Another $10-15. Need to give it a deep in and out cleaning. Might go ahead and take it to the shop up the road to see if they can get the o2 sensor out or weld in a new bung. Just get it fixed so I can get it listed.

I do LOVE driving this thing, it's really peppy and feels great on the road, but we just don't need it right now, and the driveway is overfull.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts