Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently returned from a short term mission trip to Honduras. While there, I helped to get a 2000 Ford Escape running after the missionary gal drove into a flooded road. The intake tube was right behind the front bumper. The air filter was soaked, and there was water in the intake plenum. I pulled the plugs and it turned over fine. I could see water in a couple of the cylinders. We didn't have a way to suck out the water so left the plugs out for a few days. After cleaning the plugs and putting them back, the engine turned over evenly. We reconnected everything and tried to start it. I cranked and sputtered about a dozen time before it finally caught and ran. It sounded like a diesel! A very load clatter and the engine had an obvious unevenness to it. All that was not surprising. I figured she damaged something sucking water in to it. What I am wondering is what is most likely damaged in a hydro-locked engine? I am thinking a cracked or ruptured piston and/or bent valves. Does anyone have experience with hydro-locking an engine?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I figured the engine was toast and told them that. Anyway also told the owner to have her mechanic start looking for a "new" engine. She said that there were a lot for Ford Escapes down there and a few junk yards. So hopefully she can get a replacement lined up before it seizes on her. It is running on 5 cylinders for now. I suppose with piston and rods slapping around it is only a matter of time.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts