Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently returned from a short term mission trip to Honduras. While there, I helped to get a 2000 Ford Escape running after the missionary gal drove into a flooded road. The intake tube was right behind the front bumper. The air filter was soaked, and there was water in the intake plenum. I pulled the plugs and it turned over fine. I could see water in a couple of the cylinders. We didn't have a way to suck out the water so left the plugs out for a few days. After cleaning the plugs and putting them back, the engine turned over evenly. We reconnected everything and tried to start it. I cranked and sputtered about a dozen time before it finally caught and ran. It sounded like a diesel! A very load clatter and the engine had an obvious unevenness to it. All that was not surprising. I figured she damaged something sucking water in to it. What I am wondering is what is most likely damaged in a hydro-locked engine? I am thinking a cracked or ruptured piston and/or bent valves. Does anyone have experience with hydro-locking an engine?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Bent rods is probably the most common result.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Bent rods is the most common damage from hydrolocking an engine. Other possibilities include; Damaged or shattered piston(s), Broken bolts or caps on the mains, in extreme cases I have seen crankshafts get damaged (very rare), I have also seen headgaskets get destroyed, head bolts break, and seen one cylinder head that blew out the spark plug threads with the plug still in it

. Easy way to know if you have a bent rod is to pull the heads off and turn the engine by hand. You will know which ones are screwed up lol. The Clattering sound you hear, when you have a bent rod, is the piston skirt slapping into the cylinder bore due to the increased angle of attack in one direction of a full rotation, or if it is bent badly enough, the rod itself contacting the block.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I figured the engine was toast and told them that. Anyway also told the owner to have her mechanic start looking for a "new" engine. She said that there were a lot for Ford Escapes down there and a few junk yards. So hopefully she can get a replacement lined up before it seizes on her. It is running on 5 cylinders for now. I suppose with piston and rods slapping around it is only a matter of time.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts