Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Just put manuals on. The autos aren't worth rebuilding. You can have a set of manuals on for about 100 dollars and never worry with them again.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
While I agree with Joe, the autos aren't all bad. If they stick in the locked position that's usually a sign that someone packed them with much too much grease, or the grease that's in there is old and too thick. Take them apart, clean them well and lightly grease them. Don't glob the grease on.

We've run 5 Troopers (86, 86, 88, 88, 92) with auto hubs past 200k miles (and another one to 160k before they were removed) and still had working hubs.

The real disadvantage to autos is that they have to disengage and then re-engage when you change directions. That means that if you are trying to rock yourself out of a stuck that you have a period where the rear wheels spin and the fronts are not engaged.

I run manuals now for that reason. They stay engaged. My dad still runs autos on his 92 Trooper, but he uses it to pull things in the yard and drive around in muddy fields and in the snow. He doesn't put quite the off-road mileage on his 92.

Another reason to replace them is if the snap ring has come off of the axle shaft. This lets the hub slide outward, and you'll start to hear a LOUD poping sound as the splines are worn off of the axle shaft. You can normally install AISIN manuals at that point without replacing the axle shafts, as the AISIN manuals engage at a different point on the shaft than the autos did.

-Tad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.