Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm installing the Aisin hubs and I'm stuck.

I've got the hub body on and it's RTVed. I then installed the original shim (.012") and then the original snap ring. However, there seems to be way too much play between the snapring groove and the shim.

Did I install something incorrectly? What do I need to do to fix this? (I removed the snapring to take the pic)

As for installing a thicker shim, is a gap of .075" suppose to be closed with a shim?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Based on what I've found when I pulled factory manual hubs from vehicles that came with them, the play is usually somewhere less than a fingernails thickness. On a couple I could get a fingernail behind the snap ring, but on most I couldn't. You also don't want it shimmed too tight. The snap ring should rotate freely otherwise you'll wear the snap ring (a bad thing) and the shim.

If you removed hub flanges look on them for some spare shims. They usually stick to the flange and have to be scraped off (a fingernail is enough).

-Tad

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should the inner hub be able to slide front to back inside the hub body?

I'm concerned that is the source of my gap problem.

I removed the hub and put the stock stuff back on whle I figure this out. (btw, I laid a great RTV bead!) :lol: When I put the shim and snap ring back on I had to pull the shaft outward to get the snap ring on. So, that is on there snug.

·
Registered
825 Posts
my warns came with a washer that fits nicely to fill the gap, but still leaving enough freeplay to rotate as needed... consider finding a washer of apropriot size.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That probably is your problem. Once you take it apart, there should be a brass looking bushing with lots of dimples in it for proper oiling. If this is worn, then it will have excessive play. A rebuild kit (i think) has the proper replacement.
-J :wink:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I'll start looking for parts.

mdocod, after thinking about what to do with this all afternoon, I came home and saw my big nut and bolt bucket on the garage. So I went through it and I have more than enough pickings of washers. All I'd need to do is pick one with the correct width and then open up the hole to the appropriate diameter. Then I'll polish the washer to as close to mirror finish as I can to reduce friction (I miss my gunsmith work due to local laws).

My biggest concern us where I should place this washer if I go this route. Should I place it in between the snapring and shim? Should I place it between the shim and the inner hub?

And if I do go this extra spacer route, will it negatively affect the hub engagement at all when the hub is locked? Will the pawl grab deep enough on the inner hub?

I'm full of questions, forgive me. I'm just trying to keep from needing to spend another 8000yen on 2 full knuckle/hub assemblies I'll have to purchase and remove at the junkyard., just for the 5000yen locking hubs. It is uncomfortable to negotiate with the Japanese. They do not like to say no, so it is real easy to put them in a tough position. It's very uncomfortable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.