Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about doing a single in, dual outlet flowmaster exhaust on my 91 Rodeo. Thinking about the 40 or 50 series. I am just afraid it will not sound good. I do not want it to sound the least bit ricey. Just a nice lower deeper tone, that is not too overpowering.

Anyone with experience with any aftermarket exhaust on the 3.1 litre engine, tell me if it's worth it!

Thanks for any replys.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a single in single out turbo muffler(not sure of brand)on my gen 1 2.3 trooper. I think it sounds ok. Could be a little deeper and some have told me it sounds similar to one of those hondas. I dont know if that helps you.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I've heard a flowmaster on a 3.2 sohc, single in single out, and it sounded good. I'd stick with a single outlet. You may be happier with a Dynomax muffler it flows better and has a good sound. I put the Dynomax Ultro Flo on my 88 Trooper and it sounds good. Flowmasters do not flow very well when compared to Dynomax and some of the other straight through designs.

My .02
Joe

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Yes, there is a shop here locally that bent all the pipes and welded everything for me. Now remember that I supplied him with the muffler, cat, and the flex pipe. But, he only charged me 30 bucks.

Where in VA are you? I'm in Bluefield.

By the way, don't waste your money on Calmini. Get quality aftermarket stuff like Dynomax or something similar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in Richmond VA. If I can ever get my rig trail worth, we should ride sometime.

How much did the whole Dynomax set up run you?

What's wrong with the Calmini??

How do you feel about a Gibson?

I'm glad you mentioned about the Calmini cause I was about to buy it and get the shop up the street to install it. What size pipes should I run with??

Regaurds,

Wes

PS Thanks for taking the time to answer some of my questions. I am greatful.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It's six of one and half a dozen of another :?

I have a Flowmaster 40 single in single out on my 2.8 V6 with 2.25" piping and everyone has seemed quite impressed with the sound.

Personally, after I've had the darned thing now for about 5 years, I wish I had just gone with a performance, but 'quiet' muffler if there is such a thing. I've found that while wheeling, the tone the muffler puts out gets a little bothersome and at Interstate speeds, the tone is a fairly high pitch that also gets a tad bothersome after awhile.

But at idle and medium speeds, I have to admit, the Flowmaster/exhaust setup I chose definitely makes the 2.8 growl a bit. Performance wise, it's probably a wash, but with the freeflow cat, larger pipes, and flipping the aircleaner lid, I was getting a tad over 400 miles to the tank. So, it 'seemed' the setup was a positive thing.

CKimbrough has a Flowmaster 40 with single inlet, dual outlet on his 3.2L Trooper and he seems 'mostly' pleased with it although he believes he took a performance hit with the larger pipes.

Strictly on what you've specified, the Flowmaster 40 will be just fine with the 3.1L, but I would upgrade the whole exhaust line.

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Actually gibson is one of the worst flowing mufflers. If you are looking from flow you want a muffler with a straight through design.

Look here:

http://www.dynomax.com/ultrafloweld.stm

I think the flex pipe was 30, the muffler was 60, and the catco cat was 54.

All of my piping was shot anyway so it was a no brainer to redo my exhaust.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I agree, the DynoMax Ultraflo is one of the best performance street mufflers out the....

You could also look into Borla(cost a fortune)
Hooker AeroChamber

If you just want that Flowie sound...then hey, go for it...

But personally, I would stick withthe DynoMax...

Chase

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Summit racing 1-800-230-3030

or Jegs 1-800-345-4545

Both have good prices. Being on the east coast you will get your parts quicker from Summit as they are out of Ohio.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey you might look at the edelbrock rpm series muff it is in jegs for $80.00 and it is real quality better than a flowy and it is not what every one else has and trust me it has a sound kinda like a v-8 if you want a good deep sound that is the muff good luck.I have the 2 1/2 version on my 2.6 amigo and i love the sound nice and deep but also quiet on the road and i gained at least 3 mpg and a ton of noticeable power so give ithem a look and they flow in the top 3 of all the tests out there on mufflers

·
Registered
246 Posts
bigpoppax2 said:
Summit racing 1-800-230-3030

or Jegs 1-800-345-4545

Both have good prices. Being on the east coast you will get your parts quicker from Summit as they are out of Ohio.
These are actually both in Ohio. Jegs' main office and warehouse are in Columbus. I ordered my shocks from Jegs and had them the next day (of course, I do live in Columbus :lol: )

Hey, this is my 100th post! Yippee!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had one on my 92 and I personally thought it was a bit on the loud side for daily driving. I cant remember if it was a dual or triple chamber flowmaster but it was loud. Now I have one on my 89 pup and it does sound good! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.