Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious how tough the Isuzu rearends are. I know the Dana 44 should be tough but what about the 12 bolt. I thought about sticking a 87 Trooper rear end in a derby car. But wasn't sure it would handle a mopar 318. What do you guys think.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I've only heard of two 12-bolts breaking. One was clearly a defect in the material and the other had been driven welded on the street for some time. They are tough. Tougher than a D44, although not D60 tough.

87 May or may not have the 12-bolt. 88 and later certainly did but unless the 87 has disc brakes it has the 10-bolt.

-Tad

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So would the 10 bolt be strong enough? Also those are some insanely harsh conditions in the ring and the 318 has a mild cam, HEI high output dist. and large 2bbl with open headers and K&N. Also the rearends have 4.11's or better right.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The Isuzu rear is stronger than a D44 which uses 1.18" shafts. It is almost as strong as a D60 which used 1.46 inch shafts. The Isuzu used 1.32 inch shafts.

One nice benefit of the Isuzu rear end is that it is as cheap as dirt and comes with rear disc brakes. All D44 D60 and Ford9 housings cost too much even in beat down used condition.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
rodeo9two said:
So would the 10 bolt be strong enough? Also those are some insanely harsh conditions in the ring and the 318 has a mild cam, HEI high output dist. and large 2bbl with open headers and K&N. Also the rearends have 4.11's or better right.
You will explode the 10 bolt rear or atleast snap the shafts,just stick a 12bolt in there and weld it up

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
early 87s had 10 bolts, late 87 switched to 12 bolts. if its disc rear, its a 12. i have a friend pushing 350+hp out of a turbo'd 2.6L spacecab with a 4.56 amigo 12 bolt. no issues. also consider Isuzu put d44s behind 240hp DI 3.5Ls...and the 12 bolt dwarfs the D44 in strength. i dont see an issue. just make sure the lash is not sloppy. the V8 power + the momentum of that lash can spit the teeth off the ring or pinion of ANY rear axle....

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Unless you are running overly big aggressive tires I think the 10 bolt will work. Seen a lot of GM 10 bolts take more abuse than you would think. The week spot in them seemed to be the spider gears.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
firstamigo said:
Unless you are running overly big aggressive tires I think the 10 bolt will work. Seen a lot of GM 10 bolts take more abuse than you would think. The week spot in them seemed to be the spider gears.
we were not talking about the GM 10 bolt but the Isuzu 10 bolt (drum rears on 84-87 troopers, 81-87 pups). But you are correct about the GM 10 bolt. its a 7 5/8"rear and can handle upwards of 400hp. considering they are in Camaro SS (pre-02s) they had too....

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
There was also the GM 8.2/8.5 10 bolt rear end found in 70's and 80's cars and Trucks from that era until now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
well, i just broke something in the rear of my 97 rodeo 4x4. might have had something to do with the fact that i drive it like ita a drag car, leaking diff gasket and, the guy i just sold it to tried to do a burnout on dry pavement with the 33" mudders on it. but over all i think they are hella tough

1 - 13 of 13 Posts