Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to recall there were " how to" articles on this but I can't find them. My steering wheel has gotten loose with about 3" of play to each side. Does anyone know of the tread to adjust the steering screw? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
If your pump has the locknut/adjusting screw on it (top side), do the following: EDIT: The Steering box; not the pump.

Run engine until fully warm.

Turn steering wheel a couple of time each direction.

Straighten wheel.

Hold screw firmly with screwdriver

Loosen nut.

Slowly tighten screw (clockwise) just a little (no more than 1/4 turn).

Hold screw firmly.

Tighten nut.

Check the wheel by turning it. Note any difference.

If needed, repeat process, etc.

Do not "bottom" that screw. That can result in disaster.

If that doesn't remedy the problem, either the gears in the housing are too warn or perhaps the couplers between the steering wheel and pump are worn, loose, etc.

·
Registered
153 Posts
shooter said:
If your pump has the locknut/adjusting screw on it (top side), do the following:

Run engine until fully warm.

Turn steering wheel a couple of time each direction.

Straighten wheel.

Hold screw firmly with screwdriver

Loosen nut.

Slowly tighten nut (clockwise) just a little (no more than 1/4 turn).

Hold screw firmly.

Tighten nut.

Check the wheel by turning it. Note any difference.

If needed, repeat process, etc.

Do not "bottom" that screw. That can result in disaster.

If that doesn't remedy the problem, either the gears in the housing are too warn or perhaps the couplers between the steering wheel and pump are worn, loose, etc.
Shooter, the adjustment screw on the pump changes the PS oil pressure. I think what you mean is the adjustment screw on the steering box, right?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Yep, I truly meant the box. Thanks for catching that.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Selador said:
shooter said:
Loosen nut.

Slowly tighten nut (clockwise) just a little (no more than 1/4 turn).

Hold screw firmly.

Tighten nut.
And I think you meant 'screw' where you said 'nut' above.

:D :D :D
Thanks again. Man, what a bad day. I made the wife a Valentine's Day dinner. No good deed shall go unpunished. :lol:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.....I'm pretty sure the 99 model has recirculating ball steering. I found a how to that Tad posted some time ago. Where in the engine bay is the steering box located? Is it easy to see/find?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
At the end of the steering shaft. Perhaps you might want to let a more experienced individual attempt the adjustment.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For what it's worth, I had an independant shop do a look/see yesterday and they claimed I needed a whole new steering box.....at $695 for the box!!!! Needless to say, I won't be using them for any services as they also quoted me $300 for front brake job. Go figure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts