Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think all I have to do is readjust the cable looks like the PO forgot to tighten it back after putting on new rear brakes,it looks like all I have to do is just tighten the pull back up it's loose but not apart or anything,just want to make sure ,thanks for any help! :)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
rattletrap89trprII said:
I think all I have to do is readjust the cable looks like the PO forgot to tighten it back after putting on new rear brakes,it looks like all I have to do is just tighten the pull back up it's loose but not apart or anything,just want to make sure ,thanks for any help! :)
Directly under the driver's door, there is an adjuster that looks like this.
brakeadjust.jpg

Loosen the nuts, and move everything in a manner to tighten the brake cable.

Do not overtighten. Just get the cables tight enough that you can 'strum' them.

When you pull the handle, it should not come any more than halfway out. Once you have pulled it and used the brakes a few times, it will pull out farther, then reach a point where it will stay. (Until your brake pads begin to wear.)

And it is not an emergency brake. It's a parking brake. Meant to be used every time you park,

Not ever using it, is what causes it to rust in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Selador to the rescue again,thanks man ,knew it was a parking brake ,just grew up calling it a emergency brake,thanks again,going out right now to adjust it,and thanks for the detailed instructions. Hope I can help you out in some way,If I was close enough I'd buy you that large pizza,and help you burn that ol'split backseat!! lol

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
rattletrap89trprII said:
Selador to the rescue again,thanks man ,knew it was a parking brake ,just grew up calling it a emergency brake,thanks again,going out right now to adjust it,and thanks for the detailed instructions. Hope I can help you out in some way,If I was close enough I'd buy you that large pizza,and help you burn that ol'split backseat!! lol
The top nut is toward the front of the vehicle. Loosen that nut and run it forward quite a way.

Holding the threaded shaft on the bottom side, push the wishbonelooking thing forward, until it is tight.

Tighten the bottom nut, toward the wishbone until it is holding the cable tight.

Then move the top nut back down, and lock it against the wishbone.

Done.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Be sure to check your rear brakes often (for heat) once you get your"""""" PARKING""" brake adjusted and working. They have a tendency to stay applied even when released if so look back at my post history I have some tricks that help. GOODLUCK DAVE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts