Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you haven't driven or taken a ride in a big rig, this will be quite boring.
but if you have, its quite entertaining LOL
well OK maybe not quite that entertaining.

its quite different versus a normal 10 speed
pay close attn when he goes to the far right side, it goes in to high with out flipping a lever :shock:

i remember having a super 10 at diesel college, it was much easier to take apart and put back.
but it still had to be timed do to having the two counter shafts :roll:

im sure theres a video of a normal 10sp on youtube some where to compare it too.
as well as the 9, 13, 15 and 18 speeds :lol:

mabe even some of the old two sticks and mabe even a three stick :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I love this stuff...to me heavy equipment technology is by far more interesting to me than the electronic car stuff

·
Registered
925 Posts
i remember my stepdad had a 7 speed (with hi-lo switch) in his freightliner FL80

when that thing didnt wanna change gears, it'd let ya know.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I find Super 10's to be kind of annoying, but I mainly learned to drive on standard 9 and 10 speed trucks. I will say this, the first time I drove an 18spd truck I had a steep learning curve to deal with. It's hard to adjust to all of that darn gear splitting AND high low split when you spent a few years mindlessly changing gears in a standard 10. I kept forgetting to flip the damn switch or what gear I was in and wound up getting frustrated from doing skip gear downshifts. I did a lot of :facepalm: for the first day or two.

Want another weird adjustment? Go from throwing gears yourself to one of those ultrashifts. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. I would get in the truck and pointlessly flail my arm where a shifter should be and stomp my foot into the floor where a clutch would be. Sure made me feel stupid :lol:

Speaking of the Twin Sticks, I got to experience that in an old Mack dump truck. Talk about a dance. I got really good at hooking my left arm through the steering wheel to operate one shifter at the same time as the other.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I've driven 10 13 15 and 18
but none of them compare to the 5-4and double over my dad drove
we still have the truck my dad started with (1964 Mack B-73) waiting on a engine swap

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My 97 freightliner had a super 10 in it. It was hard to get The hang of, but once I did, I really liked it. Most of The trucks I've bought had ten speeds. My current truck has a 13 and I'd say I like it The most. But I'll never bad-mouth a super ten!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I loved my super 10! I had one for years and once I figured it out (took about a day) it rocked. You only have to shift 4 times and you are in 9th gear. One flip of a switch later you have 10th. This is great for dropping a gear in the hills. to hit 9th all you do is flip the switch and lift the throttle for a second, then hammer it again.

I learned on a 9 speed cabover International but since then have had standard 10spds, a 13spd, and my favorite has to be the super10.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've driven pretty much everything out there from straight 5 speeds to double over quad boxes.... One of the first rigs I owned had an earlier version of the super 10 in it and I hated it.

Here is a short video showing the kind of stuff I learned to drive a rig with... All twin sticks...

God I miss those days....

And they had the nerve to tell me I had to sell my Rodeo cause it was not an automatic. But gee wiz, its only got one stick.... LOL

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
in my opinion too much crap to remember, i'll take an 18 speed with two spliters all day over that and believe me i don't like 18 speeds either.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
That would be hard for me to get used to. I only have a Class B so I'm only used to straight trucks. I'm used to a standard 10 speed and synchro 6 speeds. Some of the buses I used to drive were all over the place. Some automatics, some auto shifts, 5, 6 and 7 speeds with no synchros.

·
Registered
677 Posts
CatFuzz said:
That would be hard for me to get used to. I only have a Class B so I'm only used to straight trucks. I'm used to a standard 10 speed and synchro 6 speeds. Some of the buses I used to drive were all over the place. Some automatics, some auto shifts, 5, 6 and 7 speeds with no synchros.
Don't be hard on yourself for only having a class B. One of the hardest trucks I ever drove was an old LJ Mack 10 wheel dump truck (late 40's early 50's model). 5 gears in the main, 4 more in the aux. And once you managed to shift all the way into 20th, the highest gear, the top speed was 35mph! But you could drag a mountain down the road behind you with out putting a strain on the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts