Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an awesome (full of awe) experience earlier this evening. I was playing Xbox COD and had just gotten in a great team party. I heard the loudest thunder that sounded like a tree fell ALMOST, but not quite on my house. My wife and I dive away from the windows. After it stops, I look outside and there is a truck that has slid off the road and into my yard. I grab some shoes and run outside. I meet the passenger first and he is a little shook up. Another car stops and we devise a plan for me to pull them with the VX two streets down to their house since they have two flat tires.

As I turn to go grab my isuzu, the driver falls out of the car and tells me he likes my Mello Yello shirt :?: The passenger says, "I told you I should have driven". They were both wearing golf clothes and look like they've done a few 'rounds' on the course. The driver of the other car comes over and tells the young 20s passenger that he needs to stay with the car and she would shuttle the drunken driver home.

Ok. They leave. I call a wrecker. My wife goes inside and calls the cops and informs them that the guy is intoxicated. So the kid is taking the fall for the 70 year old driver. Then I smell the booze on the kid and I ask him if he will be ok if/when cops show up? He says that he has more to lose than the driver. A minute later, the cops show up. The kid says the driver got "shook up and walked home". They ask him lots of questions and he admits they were drinking. They talk to my wife and me and we say he was drunk as a skunk.

Turns out the truck was registered to a business and not the individual driver, even though he was the business owner. After 20 or 30 minutes of the cops doing their thing (and the kid having no communication with the driver), the cops come over with a business card with the incident number on it. I heard the cop say, "When you get the truck towed home, give this card to your uncle and have him give it to his boss, since the company vehicle was involved in an accident. I am not going to go knocking on doors tonight, but make sure he gets that." The kid says, "I'm not going to jail for anything, right?" and The cop says, "No one is going to jail; I'm not going to go knocking on doors tonight."

The cop walks away just about the time a car pulls up behind the 4th police cruiser. I ask the kid if thats the old man come back? It is. The kid tries to wave him on, but the drunk stumbles out of the passenger side of his wife's car, walks over the kid and says, "Looks like someone busted out two tires!" The kid tells him to go home, everything is fine and if he stays, he might get arrested. The drunk turns and walks back to their car. The wife comes and gets the kid while the cops talk to the drunk in the wife's car. They all leave.

I'm left dealing with the tow truck driver and trying to tell him where they live. I ask the cop, how that guy just walked away and avoided a "Leaving the scene" and a DUI? They said "None of us saw him get out of the cab of that pick-up"

Blew my mind.

Moral of the story: If you don't make it all the way home from the bar in your vehicle, get out and walk; let someone more sober than you deal with the car!

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Learned that a long time ago. If you leave before any cops show up then come back they cant prove that you didnt get drunk AFTER leaving so they cant do anything to you as far as DUI. Surprised they didnt get him for leaving the scene though.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Sounds shady to me. Guy is a businessman, I'm sure he's paid some campaign contributions to the local commissioner or police chief. :?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have two friends that have done this and gotten off without a DUI.

Friend #1 is changing songs on his Ipod, runs off the road and up a power pole guide wire flipping his brand new FJZ80. He is right down the street from his house, so he goes back home for a minute. Cops show up and ask him if he's been drinking, he says yes but he started after the accident. He gets off without a charge.

Friend #2 is slammed and tries to take a straight line through a round a bout. Needless to say, that doesn't work out so good. He mows through a flower bed and takes out a concrete sign, dominating his car. He leaves it, catches a ride home and passes out. Cops show up the next day and charge him with leaving the scene of an accident, which is still a lot better than getting a DUI.

So I think if you leave, come back and tell them you only drank after the accident, you might be alright. I am no lawyer though.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
When I was drinking and driving, I was driving very carefully. No speeding, no abrupt maneuvers (I was avoiding the lane changing altogether), I yielded to anybody, I was looking for any potential obstacle (bicycles, pedestrians, dogs, cats, mice, etc), I obeyed all signs. I calculated the whole route in advance, to choose the safest and the easiest path.

Drunk driving must be avoided as much as possible, only as a last resort, and the drunk person must behave very responsibly. I do not understand people who are knowingly driving drunk and trying to "have fun". "Having fun" must be left only to the very sober, experienced and capable drivers.

Now I am not drinking at all.

·
Registered
123 Posts
:idea: How about not driving if you have been drinking?

How hard is it to call a cab/friend/parent to drive you. Make arrangements BEFORE you drink.

"Friends don't let Jackasses drive drunk." Roger Ebert

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
beater said:
Of course you are right.

How about always telling the truth ? How about exercising every morning ? How about visiting church every Sunday ? How about never looking at any woman other than your wife ? How about always paying taxes on your online purchases ? How about never speeding on freeway ? How about never eating unhealthy food ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
holger said:
beater said:
Of course you are right.

How about always telling the truth ? How about exercising every morning ? How about visiting church every Sunday ? How about never looking at any woman other than your wife ? How about always paying taxes on your online purchases ? How about never speeding on freeway ? How about never eating unhealthy food ?
Other than the speeding comment none of your examples kill people that are uninvolved in your stupidity. Nice try.

It isn't very difficult to have a good drunken time and plan ahead with a DD or cab. Not hard at all.

I go out and drink a few times a year and have never driven drunk or buzzed. Planning ahead is simple.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
holger said:
beater said:
Of course you are right.

You are seriously going to compare drunk driving with going to church or telling the truth ?

Better comparisons would be:

How about never drive around randomly shooting a shotgun out your car window.

How about never throwing concrete blocks off of overpasses.

How about never going 75 in a residential neighborhood.

How about never putting one bullet in a revolver... Spinning the cylinder... Then pointing it at someone else and pulling the trigger.

In those "how about's", you could actually kill someone. Just like you can actually kill someone when driving drunk.

You'll never kill anyone by not attending church, or not paying taxes on your online purchases.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like some very laxed laws compared to police state Arizona. Here you can get a DUI while you're sober, or even when you're not driving a vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
electricpuppyboy said:
You have a Mello Yello shirt? Cool!
That's what I was thinking... :laughing3:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Veritas said:
Sounds like some very laxed laws compared to police state Arizona. Here you can get a DUI while you're sober, or even when you're not driving a vehicle.
you can get a DUI(driving under the influence) while not driving? and when your not under the influence?

·
Registered
91 Posts
iRunRodeo said:
Veritas said:
you can get a DUI(driving under the influence) while not driving? and when your not under the influence?
In Arizona, you can. I'm sure this isn't the only state that has these types of laws, but when a state goes broke they start to fall back on the fine print, which is extreme in this case.

We have this nifty little thing called an 'intent' DUI law. If you have the intent of driving while you are under the influence, you can get a DUI.

How do you decide intent? Well according to the law, if your keys are within 50 feet of your person, you are in control of your vehicle and therefore have the intent of driving it. This could happen at a party, bar, or even your own home. I've actually heard of guys getting DUI's for wrenching on their vehicle in their driveway while tossing a few back by cops doing HOA patrolling.

To be brief on the latter part of your question, if the metabolite of anything listed within the law is found in your system, you are considered to be under the influence of it at the time. Doesn't matter if you took some pills a week ago. This also applies to prescription drugs.

Keep this in mind next time you think about vacationing to Arizona. DUI's and Red light tickets are a cash crop here.

·
Registered
608 Posts
iRunRodeo said:
Veritas said:
Brother-in-law saw the cops give a guy on a bicycle a DUI... 'cause he fell over drunk at a 4-way stop sign. And yes, you can get a DUI while on a horse... (although, I'm curious of how they're going to install the breath-alyzer on the horse).

DUI while you're sober... just remember, they changed it to DUI to include "being high" from DWI (driving while intoxicated).
IIRC - some comedian did a routine about Driving Under the Influence of a blow-job...

hmmm... I wonder how long it will take to change DUI to be DWNA -- driving while not alert.. which would include "texting-and-driving"

·
Registered
676 Posts
DogMeat said:
hmmm... I wonder how long it will take to change DUI to be DWNA -- driving while not alert.. which would include "texting-and-driving"
Theres a few cities that have banned textin and drivin completely here in SC. Next step is get everybody to ban it.

My buddy texts constantly while driving... a 5 speed... I hate riding with him honestly.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
TKEPA251 said:
DogMeat said:
Theres a few cities that have banned textin and drivin completely here in SC. Next step is get everybody to ban it.

My buddy texts constantly while driving... a 5 speed... I hate riding with him honestly.
same here in NJ. no texting or talking unless hands free (speaker)

Selador AKA Tat said:
You'll never kill anyone by not attending church, or not paying taxes on your online purchases.
ive seen some people shoot up a church, does that count??? and laws for not having to pay out of state taxes were set by the government, we just follow THEIR rules :lol:

ive seen some really messed up people driving drunk, even in the middle of the day. it seems lately more people are drinking and driving, mostly due to the economy and suckiness (is this a real word???) of life lately.

Ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.