Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an Isuzu Tech and no the noise is not normal. No Isuzu will not pay for it because it is considered to be a maitenance issue (personally I think they should pay for it but who am I) which is only covered 12mos or 12,000 miles.

Call around find a place that handles RED CROWN grease it is usually carried by places that handle heavy equipment parts (NAPA). This stuff is really thick and nasty be sure to wear latex gloves when you handle it because it is not fun to wash off. Also look inside of your driveshafts there is a small vent hole in the plastic plug appx 1/8 of an inch drill it out go large about 1/2 in. if this does not help, and it should. Then take it to your dealer tell them to get on the phone with Tech Asst. to find out about something I just heard about but have not tried yet which is a transmission band adjustment. I dont know if this will be covered by warranty. But they should at least make an effort to call and get the info for you. I will try to get more on it and let you know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2eye,
Yes the dealer should fix it under warranty. There is not a lubrication schedule for the slip-joint, therefore when it causes drivability problems and the annoying thump, and can be fixed by re-lubing the joint, it most certainly is the dealers responsibility to fix the problem.
What plastic plug are you talking about, and why would that help a lack of grease in the slip-joint area?

If people would complain to Isuzu customer service it might help, or do the repair yourselves and to-hell with the dealership service dept.
HTH.. :evil: Randy

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yeah, keep us in the loop on this. I just checked my records on this and I first brought my truck in when it was 11 months old with 12,481 miles. They wrote the thump was also found on new on the lot Amigo's/Rodeo's.

Then at about 39k I had them repack the joint. They wrote that they couldn't replicate the thump and repacked the joint at my expense (I would of done it myself, but everytime I look at it I have no clue where to start with it.) The regrease helped to keep the thump away for about 2wks. Now that it is getting cooler here in the great white north the thump is pretty much gone, but when it warms up the thump will be back.

-Ryan

·
Registered
591 Posts
It really depends on the dealership. Some will clean & regrease the drive shaft slip yokes for free, some wont. I know my local dealership http://www.towneauto.com/ will do it one time for free, then you're one your own. They'll cover one intake manifold gasket replacement for a 1998-1999 as well. 2000+ IMG's are free for 10yrs/120Kmi. I hope American Isuzu sticks around that long!!
Joel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Randy,

I agree that Isuzu should pay for it but it is not my call to make nor is it the dealers call to make I am more than happy to do it when a vehicle is within 12m/12,000 miles because Isuzu will pay me for it any dealer that does it free just sounds a bit crazy I work off of commission as do most other techs so that means I cant work for nothing or I will get paid nothing I sure you dont go to work and not get paid I would love nothing more to do this repair all day because I can do it in about 20 minutes when I find out more about the band adjustment which I am still researching I will let you all know I would think that since one would have to go inside of the tranny for this that it should be warranty but who knows. The reason Isuzu is the way they are now is because of their freinds who almost killed them we can all thank Girly Motors (GM) for that

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Hey guys. I'm with 2 eye on this one. Like I've said many times, nothing gets on my rack for free unless they are a VERY good customer. If the dealership covers this, they have a side agreement with their techs on this job, and they are a good dealership and want to keep their customers.

Calm down Randy. It's too bad your dealership sucks, like so many. The techs understand good customer service, but too often the guy running the shop is a business man, not a tech.

On the hole, it's a vent. If you were to pack the joint solid with grease you'd have a hydraulic lock problem, it would have no where to go and wouldn't work properly. Techs do this to get out pilot bearings out of flywheels; pack it with grease, then put a dummy input shaft (or bolt with electrical tape) in it, the grease will hydraulically push the bearing out from the back side.

"The General" is certainly not my favorite. They experiment with everything, and too often are wrong. Still, they are the only manufacturer who made money last quarter (and on mortgages, not cars!!!) so we may all be driving GMs soon.

-Kevin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did send a n E-mail to isuzu tech asst. and was told that the band adjust would only apply to some of the most latest built Axioms and some Rodeos. here is the question I dont want to stump them with. The driveshaft has been the same for three years now how can they justify telling me that it will only work on the latest models? Not sure maybe someone out there can shed a litle light on the subject for I am not an engineer. I only do my best to keep em rollin

·
Registered
26 Posts
2eye,
That driveshaft change for 2004 just confirms that Isuzu knew they had some design problems. Looks like a band adjustment would only put a band-aid on the problem. I think they are trying to loosen up the trans band, so it won't hook up so hard, and lessen the thump. Make Isuzu pick up the tab for a new driveshaft.
Do I smell a class-action law suit here??
:roll: Randy

·
Registered
591 Posts
I here you Randy. The thing is, you can't squeeze blood from a stone. AM Isuzu is hurting. Hopefully they can make a come-back- They definately make great enough trucks to do so. Time will tell I guess.

Joel

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think that I'm experiencing that problem too on my '96 Rodeo. Occasionaly after driving for a while I feel a thump as the trans shifts in and out of first and second gear. This only rarely happens. Most of the time it's very smooth shifting.

Does this year have a zirc fitting, or do I have to take the driveshaft apart to regrease the slip-yoke? I have the Haynes manual that shows how to do this, but I don't remember reading about a slip-yoke. Where is this part?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a shop re-grease the slip-yoke (at least they said they did) while it was in for other service, but it didn't make any difference.

Sometimes the truck can run all day w/o any thump while sifting, other times the thump is very noticeable.

How can I get rid of this thing? :x

·
Registered
823 Posts
to bring this post back to life, I have a question. This is regarding the second gen rodeo auto right? If so, isnt the slip joint in the trannys tail shaft housing? Correct me if I am wrong, havent really been underneath the new one yet, other than to chack for leaks, but my 00 has a one piece, BUT its a 5spd, and doesnt make any thumo, but the 99 does, as well, I think I need to get into the rear end and replace the fluid, AND add some gl-3, or if I have to, GL-5....

Chase

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have a 97 rodeo manual trans. 4x4. my friend said that i can grease the slip-joint or also i can have a custom length single peice drive shaft made...... do i live with the thump or shell out the dough for the new shaft?

l8r,

Z

·
Registered
946 Posts
I paid a local shop $40.00 to drop, disassemble, and grease mine (I provided the grease-Mobil 1) about 3 years ago. It has not made any noise since.

I can't speak about your 97, but my 2000 has a Factory Service Bulletin that says "the clunk is perfectly normal".

I would give it a try first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.