Isuzu SUV Forum banner

How to Figure Out if a Car Auction Site Is Actually a Scam

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ed Mc. 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Bottom line: If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't. I deal mainly with craigslist scams. Everything from the "free" whatever, to "people" selling the "2015 F250...$1849.00...@gmail". I don't respond to any of them. Free stuff, if it's an address within a few miles and JUST POSTED, maybe. Any other C/L ad, if there isn't a local phone number listed, don't bother. Even then, if it seems to good to be true, type the number into a search. Many scam numbers turn up that way. "Offer up" has gotten just as bad. Dennis

#3 ·
DSUZU said:
Bottom line: If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't. I deal mainly with craigslist scams. Everything from the "free" whatever, to "people" selling the "2015 F250...$1849.00...@gmail". I don't respond to any of them. Free stuff, if it's an address within a few miles and JUST POSTED, maybe. Any other C/L ad, if there isn't a local phone number listed, don't bother. Even then, if it seems to good to be true, type the number into a search. Many scam numbers turn up that way. "Offer up" has gotten just as bad. Dennis
You'll notice on the Craigslist ads they embed the .gmail address text into pictures. That way the text recognition script at Craigslist can't pick it up. Sneaky Bass-Terds!

And keywords, don't get me started, that really yanks my chain! Posting keywords so you can artificially insert your POS DOdGe or whatever into my "Mach 1" search, gets you automatically FLAGGED!! :evil:

Offerup is at best mediocre, and the user interface is FAR from friendly. Fakebook Marketplace isn't much better, my searches bring up all sorts of gobbledygook totally unrelated to what I'm searching for. And recently all of my bookmarked searches got "blown out" and don't work anymore. Had to build some new ones, which actually do work.

Ok, end.of.rant! :drunken:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.