Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to remove my rear bumper and hitch. I may later build a bumper, but for now just wanted to clean the look up.

I cut the little pieces of frame that stuck out past the cross brace, I also shortened the excess exhaust pipe

I found a part of an old work bench (love recycling my steel, saves $) obviously it wasn't wide enough so I cut 2 pieces at 5.5" wide each

then attach the two pieces

Cut to the proper length, cut a couple of angles and sanded her down..........with a drill and pad :lol:

Welded her in place

Primed then put on some semi gloss rustoleum and called it a day

and a corner shot in the real world

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
That looks great! who need a bumper anyway. If you had a trailer hitch insert in there, you would have no need for a bumper anyway. I like it.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My plan is to build a bumper with the hitch receiver mounted in it. I may just build a recessed hitch that is tucked up in there ;)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
betterthanyou said:
Looks good. Simple and clean. I might steal your idea until I get a real bumper.
Just how I like it clean and simple, steal away dude. :lol:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've seen a lot of Troopers in the j-yard and many have creased back doors from that hit.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
That looks awesome. I also love the stance your Trooper has with those mud grapplers. Wider is better. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MarkB.NV said:
I've seen a lot of Troopers in the j-yard and many have creased back doors from that hit. And the back door on my '90 has a small dimpling where it was backed in to something by a PO. I've seen other owners fab up a bumper like this that was mounted on the tow hitch - so you could leave the extension in there when using the truck as your daily driver, but pull it out for off-roading where you might need a little better clearance and departure angle.
If someone rear ended me with my factory bumper it wouldn't have saved much. If I back into something or someone high enough to rear end my tire does, more than my tire mount will be damaged. The tire being so wide, the rubber actually rests on the door, the 3 bolts that hold the spare to the mount don't even bottom out. Like I said though long term I do plan to add a stout bumper with some side protection for my corners and a high mounted receiver so as to not ruin my departure angle :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.