Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used hybrid trailler that weigth almost 3000 pounds dry so I would like to add a seperate cooler for the transmission. Everybody here that is pulling a trailler is adding one on their standard ford and chevy truck so I guess I am better adding one on my rodeo an its 4L30E...

Don't worry, I am not going to do the job myself, I will send the truck to a transmission rebuilder that will do the job for me. I just want to have an idea on how to do it on that super standard 4L30E. Do we have to go from the extra cooler to the radiator or are we completely bypassing the radiator? Is there anything stupid we should absolutely not do?

Thank you for the help...

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Keep things clean, and have the cooler mounted securely (not with the plastic clips that stick it to the radiator, but with bolts and nuts).

Mine is setup to run from the transmission, into the stock cooler/warmer (in the radiator), then through a plate type transmission cooler that's mounted in front of the radiator.

-Tad

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to the dealer yesterday to get a new pcv valve and I asked them how much it would be to install a cooler. Their answer: don't spend your money on a cooler, your not driving a chevy, you will never have any problem with the original cooler alone. Just make sure you are not using the overdrive and stay bellow the 4500 Lbs limit and your in business.

What do you think? is this cooler good enough for that kind of load...

By the way, Gm just got rid of isuzu in Canada. They use to sell isuzu thruw the Saturn-Saab stealership. But all the dealers took their isuzu signs off last month. They will still do the maintenance and waranty work for the next 10 years or so. They stop selling isuzu product two years ago...

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would not regularly -or- long distance tow 3000+ lbs with out one. If you dont run an aux ATF cooler, just be sure to swap out the ATF before & maybe after your towing season. The GM 4L30E tranny is pretty reliable, but not an overly stout unit.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
823 Posts
I agree, though I tend to put aux coolers on all my autos, as heat is their biggest enemy, and I dont trust them. Run it like Tad said, tranny-radiator-cooler-back to tranny. The radiator will help warm the fluid, as this needs to happen for it to operate, and once the fluid gets warm, it acts as a cooler...BUT, it is also the radiator, so it wont helkp too much, as it is tryoing to cooler the motor as well. You run it from the radiator to the cooler, and it will cool the fluid further, and you should never have a prob with the tranny cooking its fluid.

One thing I have dicovered, if you run a combo cooler, i.e. tranny and oil, you will substantially reduce the amount of heat these motors and trannys produce... Have an oil cooler on on my 00, and a combo on my 99, adn they run much cooler, perform a little better, but still get warm enough to allow it to go into open loop, and the emissions will work.. coller engine/oil means better performance...

I can go on and on about different ways to cool a motor..but you get my point...

HTH
Chase

·
Registered
141 Posts
definitely get the cooler.

I'm getting my tranny rebuilt because I did a lot of towing without one. Kicking myself now for not investing in a $50 part that would have saved me $1500 in the long run.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I've had the transmission overheat on the highway while running 33s, AC, Camping gear, and a heavy right foot.

I'm much more aware of whether or not the transmission has the torque converter locked up. When it isn't locked up, I can watch the temperature gauge climb on hills. I'll also add that the temperature can rise 40 degrees in a minute or two on a hill, but it can take 15-20 minutes for the transmission to cool off that much by driving slow on a flat section.

-Tad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.