Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people booby trapped their car (illegal, but so what), Im not really worried about the truck itself being stolen, as there dont seem to be any hardcore thieves maybe an occasional vandal. One idea i had that i really like is to have a removable ink pad under the door handle, that was I have a good set of prints. Im more worried about the radio as the car has no alarm and manual locks.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
A very large Python crawling around the interior tends to do the trick!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Get a visual detterent... like a LED that flashes. Or put a high end alarm system sticker above your door lock.

If you want to avoid having someone smash a window, dont leave anything in your car.
I dont even leave my stereo face plate in the vehicle. Just get things out of plain site.

I dont really empathize with people that get there purses, wallets, cell phones, etc... stolen.
If they just hid it or didnt leave it in the car at all, it would have been less likely to get stolen.

If you have a BAMF sound system, dont blast it in public areas or near your home/work/places you frequent.
It will bring attention to your ride. With that said, there is nothing you can really do to stop a thief (legally) from getting your possesions.
Anything you add to your car is just a theft detterent. If someone really wants to steal, they'll find a way.

Just take your possesions with you and there wont be anything to steal. Sounds obvious, but alot of victims dont have much common sense.
Park in well lighted or busy areas, still no gurantee, but it helps. Thieves dont like to be seen.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i also have a 97 nissan 240sx ( great car , rwd, adjustable distributor, timing chain not a belt, cai,greddy exhaust, underdrive light weight crank pully, 26mpg mixed driving) , they love to steal these things an make drifters out of them , i put a switch on the fuel pump ground wire.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Everything DAE says is right on.

As for keeping the thieves from wanting what you have... If they don't see it, they don't 'want' it. It can be as simple as tossing a blanket over stuff.

I call the combination of a little trash, a dirty vehicle, and a ratty old blanket thrown over a couple thousand dollars worth of tools... "Urban camoflage"

As for keeping them out.... All you can do is make it more difficult. Add a cheap alarm. Anything, to make them go down the street to one that is easier, (and less attention-getting), to get into.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Well, when it comes right down to it, our 1st gen Troopers are probably VERY easy to break into. Have you looked into an after market alarm? That's all I could think of outside of keeping valuables out of the vehicle when parked. My head unit has a detachable face that I can take with when not using it. I remove my CB also. Also, check with your insurance plan and make sure what you want covered is covered.

Bart

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
dryvr12 said:
I know some people booby trapped their car (illegal, but so what), Im not really worried about the truck itself being stolen, as there dont seem to be any hardcore thieves maybe an occasional vandal. One idea i had that i really like is to have a removable ink pad under the door handle, that was I have a good set of prints. Im more worried about the radio as the car has no alarm and manual locks.
You'll just end up with ink stains all over the inside your Trooper.

·
Registered
555 Posts
dryvr12 said:
Unless you plan on driving around in a post apocolyptic Australian outback, fighting off leather clad,rainbow haired thugs trying to jack your ride for the gas in its tank,I think you should avoid booby trapping your car.

Seriously,you cant drive your car from a prison cell.

One idea to make the truck difficult to steal would be to make a quick disconnect device for the engine computer. The truck is not going anywhere without the computer and if they didnt bring a spare,they are out of luck. If you put a custom card edge connector (so its like a giant video game cartridge) on the end the harness,then even if they HAD another computer,they would have no way to connect it without a schematic and a couple days of work tracing cabling. (of course you need a certain level of electrical skill to make such a thing and if you screw it up your car is a garage ornament. ) I wouldn't go to such lengths unless I felt that my car was in imminent danger of being stolen any time I left it. Actually,I have a Genesis Coupe and someone MIGHT want to actually steal that,and I don't go to such lengths because its insured. If someone steals my car,its inconvenient and will make me really mad,but the insurance company will put me into a rental until its recovered or replaced.

The radio is a different issue. The only way to protect it 100% is to remove it from the car which is the whole point of the removable ones. The removable face plate models sound like a great idea,but there have been so many occasions where some scumbag on a street corner has tried to sell me a radio missing its faceplate that I doubt the effectiveness of those. Clearly,they steal them anyway. Personally,Im just not putting an expensive radio into mine. Ill save that for the Genni. The Rodeo is getting a 40 dollar radio from my local pawn shop. (they have some nice ones actually) My only hope is that if someone steals it,they dont break things while doing it. (Common,its so easy to disconnect the harness. Its actually MORE work to cut it)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Selador said:
Everything DAE says is right on.

As for keeping the thieves from wanting what you have... If they don't see it, they don't 'want' it. It can be as simple as tossing a blanket over stuff.

I call the combination of a little trash, a dirty vehicle, and a ratty old blanket thrown over a couple thousand dollars worth of tools... "Urban camoflage"

As for keeping them out.... All you can do is make it more difficult. Add a cheap alarm. Anything, to make them go down the street to one that is easier, (and less attention-getting), to get into.
That is a good idea, If i were a theif I wouldn't want to go digging thru a bunch of trash. Just dont know if I could stand it, lol

·
Registered
336 Posts
Things that keep thieves away are alarms (or the resemblance of an alarm like a blinking led in your dash). Or any other visual deterrent that says the risk/reward isn't worth it. But that only works to a point, by the time the thief decides they want it...it's a broken window and a yank away. Plus anyone that's installed alarms will tell you there is always away around the alarm if the car is worth the risk...lol

·
Registered
677 Posts
You didn't hear this from me...

There was once a bunch of guys who had had enough of thieves messing with their street rods in NYC. They all hooked up ignition coils from Model A Fords to the body sheet metal with a switch under the front driver's wheel well. When parked the switch was turned on and the entire body was electrified. No amps just volts. Several thousand volts....

When ( and it happened often) a thief touched the car, the resulting voltage paralyzed the bad guy such that he could not take his hand off the car. Something like today's tasers. From there it was easy to call the cops and have the guy arrested.

Of course this all happened before it was possible for the thief to sue the victim and win millions of dollars because he got hurt trying to steal from you.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I got my windows broken and sub was stolen... before I have my windows tinted. but just leave nothing in the car would be good. at least now it's hard to see through my window.
I would think to put a kill switch somewhere which kills the ignition or fuel pump. that would be easy to do but just need to find a good place to hide it.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I have a siren connected to my coil when you flip the stitch the car wont start, just the alarm. I know this doesn't help with poeple breaking in.

Just keep all the good stuff out of sight

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Thieves suck.

The best one to protect your first gen trooper is to re-wire the clutch switch to a hidden, but accessible location. Granted a thief could still "hot wire" the thing, but it would at least add another non-obvious step. Although, knock-on-wood, do people really steal troopers?

Out here if you leave your car at a trail in the boonies, the fawking meth-heads will steal anything. And I do mean anything. Those fawking tweekers will break a window to steal a foil candy wrapper. I keep my car spotless and empty when I park it at trail heads. At most I leave a dry-change of clothes. My hi-lift, spare and tool box are all pad-locked. I also leave the doors unlocked and my stereo is functional but very plain looking -anti bling is good.

EDIT: Ha! I love that spell check fixes the f-word just so the dirty word filter can blank it out! Awesome.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Somebody wants to steal a trooper??? Did they mistake it for a Toyota? I didn't realize thieves had any interest... :lol:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dae said:
Get a visual detterent... like a LED that flashes. Or put a high end alarm system sticker above your door lock.

If you want to avoid having someone smash a window, dont leave anything in your car.
I dont even leave my stereo face plate in the vehicle. Just get things out of plain site.

I dont really empathize with people that get there purses, wallets, cell phones, etc... stolen.
If they just hid it or didnt leave it in the car at all, it would have been less likely to get stolen.

If you have a BAMF sound system, dont blast it in public areas or near your home/work/places you frequent.
It will bring attention to your ride. With that said, there is nothing you can really do to stop a thief (legally) from getting your possesions.
Anything you add to your car is just a theft detterent. If someone really wants to steal, they'll find a way.

Just take your possesions with you and there wont be anything to steal. Sounds obvious, but alot of victims dont have much common sense.
Park in well lighted or busy areas, still no gurantee, but it helps. Thieves dont like to be seen.
Thats very good advice. I used to live in a high crime area and if you left ANYTHING in your car it would be gone in under a half hour. (Im not even exaggerating,it was that bad) I learned to just leave my doors unlocked and nothing in the car. It was cheaper than replacing windows. There is little you can do to stop them short of sitting in your car with a gun. (You can do that here in Utah,but its not practical,Ill guarantee though,if for some reason Im in the car when you try to break in,say I was too tired to drive and had to sleep,then anyone who tries to break in better not have a screwdriver in their hand,because I don't have to give them a chance to drop it)

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Well the OP's main concern was having his stereo stolen.

But on the topic of making it very unattractive to your average petty thieve heres are some ideas. Legally...

Install aftermarket alarm system brain, as far away from the dash as possible, im thinking trunk or under rear seat.
add starter and fuel pump kill relays to activate while the alarm is "armed", a hidden manual switch works if you prefer.
Install two sirens, hide one in the engine compartment, and hide another in the vehicle. If their trying to steal your stuff make it unpleasant.
The inside siren can have a high ear piercing tone playing over and over. Hopefully the thief will just run away.

Hook the alarm and sirens to a second battery (hidden). Thieves usually just pop the hood, cut the battery cable, and no more sound.
Make sure all the wiring/looming looks stock. Use only black colored wires for the alarm install, so they cant tell what goes where.

The Club steering wheel lock is a visual deterrent, hopefully a would be thief would just move on to the next car and not want to mess with it.
If you want to go extreme, get a removable steering wheel. And put locks for your engine hood.

If you're on a budget, get at least a blinking LED. They will think you have an alarm system, and hopefully skip your vehicle.
A sticker that says you have an alarm system could also have the same effect. Some thieves just want easy pickings.
But if you leave your crap in plain site and do nothing to fight back, thats your problem.

In the end, they will take whatever they want. Which is why you shouldnt leave anything valuable in plain site or at all.
If they want to steal the car, they will find a way. In short of cementing your car to the road, theres nothing to stop a determined thief.

mallen said:
Dae said:
Get a visual detterent..
You mean like a German Shepherd sitting on the front seat?
Im sure that works too! :lol:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.