Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my light goes on, how many gallons til I run dry?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So maybe 1 gallon???

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's probably different for 00 Troopers but my light has come on before and I will fill it right after adding to around 19.5 gallons and I know the tank is 22 gallons, so it giver pretty good warning with my truck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Like above, I know my tank is roughly 22 gallons, I usually drive 10 or 15 miles after the light comes on and I fill up with 20(-)(+). So imagine it comes on in my Gen2 at about 2 gallons left.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
A lot depends on how accurate your sending unit is as well. I think mine is going bad again because the last few fill ups the second half of the tank went fast and the light came on. But only took 14 gallons to fill and mine is a 21 gallon tank.

You shouldnt run it till the light comes on very often though. You can over heat and kill the fuel pump. Much more common with "American" made pumps then with Japanese ones though.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My fuel gauge doesnt work, so usually I drive it til the light comes on and fill it up.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
gen 1 trooper I have roughly 2 gallons left

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
ive gone about 10 miles with mine coming on and then going off :lol:

it hasn't come on solid yet. just when im at a wierd angle :D

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've gone 30 miles with mine on (getting ~ 20mpg so >1.5 gallons)

Except for road trips though I usually don't let mine drop much below 1/2 a tank (the old Scout Motto "Be Prepared")

·
Registered
808 Posts
According to the owner's manuals for both my '88 and '92, there's .3gal left when the light comes on...on the '88 that woks out o be about 10mi...about the same for the '92. Best way to keep track of your gas is to figure how many miles you can go on a tank and then use the tripometer to keep track...just reset it every time you fill up.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
mine pretty much just lets me know the engine died because it ran out of fuel as I'm drifting to the side of the freeway.
Basically "that gas station you just passed? well, you're a dumbass Sean"

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know for a fact its more than .3 gallons, Ive driven it a mile or so to get gas. But 2 gallons sounds spot on.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
dryvr12 said:
I know for a fact its more than .3 gallons, Ive driven it a mile or so to get gas. But 2 gallons sounds spot on.
my blue troop was giving me about 20 MPG so i agree about 2 gallons...
by the way the only reason why I found out about this was because I wanted to know my truck better :lol:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
is the blue one a 2.8?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
On the Rodeo, I once went about 30 or 40 miles till the gas station with the light on.

On Axiom, I have "miles till empty" computer statistics. The light comes on when I have 20-30 "miles till empty". Once, in Death Valley, I miscalculated and exhausted all fuel... I was watching my "miles left" figure... it was "5", then "1", then "0", then it had been constant "0" for about 10 miles till I got to the gas station.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.