Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is 117,000 miles to high for replacing Tranny fluid and filter? I know at some point your better of not. I have a leaky drain plug that needs to be sealed up and the fluid is obviously going to come out when the plug is removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
In my opinion, with the 4L30e, your always better off changing the fluid and filter.

Hopefully Ramblin Fever or SurferJoe can give you further insight as to what you should do.

All I know is that trans is WAY overdue. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
It's ok to do a simple drain and refill. Stay away from the flushes....there bad news.

I drained/refilled mine at 150K, to my knowledge that was the first time it had had it. It shifted fine after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,350 Posts
sp with that said, I could drain and refill the fluid in my MUA5 I am about to put into the 91 Trooper?... I was told to just throw it in, but I know I need to add fluid, and I have been told as well to drain and fill. Not to jump your thread, but it fits just a little.

:D

cheers
-Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
I drain and refill the main pan every 2nd or 3rd oil change depending on how much [light] towing I do. ATF is cheap and you might as well keep it clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
backcountry said:
is 117,000 miles to high for replacing Tranny fluid and filter? I know at some point your better of not. I have a leaky drain plug that needs to be sealed up and the fluid is obviously going to come out when the plug is removed.
Thats like saying "after 25,000 miles,your better off not changing your motor oil" because some guy on the internet said that he changed his motor oil at 25,000 miles and his motor went out a week later. His motor went out because he didn't change the oil for 25,000 miles. In other words,by the time he changed it,it just didn't make a difference any more because the damage was done and his motor was going to die because of it no matter what he did.

The transmission is the same way. At some point you have done the damage already and changing the fluid is not going to magically undo the damage or take the metal shavings from your pan and put them back on the surfaces they came off of. If you have not changed the fluid for a long time,change it out,and hope there is no damage done. Change the filter while your at it. What you DONT want to do is flush the transmission. Just drain and remove the pans ,put a new filter on and use a good fiber (not rubber or cork) gasket. Top it up with fresh fluid and you should be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,743 Posts
Good points - except for one, whom shall remain nameless.

Flushes are a transmission overhaul shop dream and money maker. I've seen vehicles that could not drive out of their own after a flush and the tow truck brought it to me. Money! Loved it.

Any fluid change is beneficial, even late - kinda like stopping smoking - but for some it IS too late.

A transmission service is not an overhaul - it is a service and needs to be done no matter what your Uncle Bob did to his or got away with for years.

Just do it - and make a habit of it too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,257 Posts
no one is against changing the fluid ie. drain and fill. Everyone is against flushes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,350 Posts
I would like to see the toilet you would flush your transmission :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
imamonstertruck said:
sp with that said, I could drain and refill the fluid in my MUA5 I am about to put into the 91 Trooper?... I was told to just throw it in, but I know I need to add fluid, and I have been told as well to drain and fill. Not to jump your thread, but it fits just a little.

:D

cheers
-Ian
That's a manual transmission... all you do is drain and fill it. There is never ever going to be a situation where changing the fluid in a MUA5 is bad, unless you fill it with the wrong fluid. Auto's are a different breed. Flush = dislodging debris, which clogs lines or eats clutches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,350 Posts
justwork said:
imamonstertruck said:
sp with that said, I could drain and refill the fluid in my MUA5 I am about to put into the 91 Trooper?... I was told to just throw it in, but I know I need to add fluid, and I have been told as well to drain and fill. Not to jump your thread, but it fits just a little.

:D

cheers
-Ian
That's a manual transmission... all you do is drain and fill it. There is never ever going to be a situation where changing the fluid in a MUA5 is bad, unless you fill it with the wrong fluid. Auto's are a different breed. Flush = dislodging debris, which clogs lines or eats clutches.
Well, I know flushing was not needed, I was just double checking and thought I would ask while the topic was hot... Thank you

cheers
-Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
One guys experience here.. I bought my truck with 117K. Maintenance was neglected by the P.O.

I drained the trans (main pan) and it was nasty stuff. Didn't smell burnt but it was pretty obvious it was NEVER changed.

I changed the fluid, started it up and ran it through the gears. Changed the fluid 3 more times doing the same. My theory is that each time I changed it this way I got more fresh fluid in and old fluid out.

Drove it for a week or so and then dropped both pans and replaced filter. Filled up with new fluid again.

Ran fine before all this and has been running fine since. Doesn't mean it won't blow up tomorrow but got 130K or so now and OK so far...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
The biggest thing is that if you don't change your fluid you're going to prematurely lose that transmission. If you flush it, you may also be shopping at the wreckers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,350 Posts
justwork said:
The biggest thing is that if you don't change your fluid you're going to prematurely lose that transmission. If you flush it, you may also be shopping at the wreckers.
That is pretty much what everyone has been telling me. I am just concerned because it had sat for 9 years in the barn, I figured moisture may have set in and what not. Jerry is sending me seal's so I will reseal, swap the bell housing and then the heavens will open up! :D

cheers
-Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,743 Posts
Just be sure to NOT loosen or in any way remove the front pump bolts.

Therein lies madness - unless you can find the special tool to put it back where it belongs.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top