Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many truck drivers do we have on the planet? I know of myself, Ditchdoc are driving now. GaTrooper, and I think Paintchip were one at one point.

Who drives for what company and would you suggest them to a friend looking for a job?

I ask because I lost my contract on Friday and am starting the process of looking for a new gig. My company is ok, but they lied to me about loosing the contract and now don't have enough work to keep me busy. I need a reliable paycheck so off I go looking for steady work.

So let hear it, what's the 20 on all my truckin buddies come on? (beep) :lol:

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have a CDL but it's not a class A. Not many jobs out there for class B drivers but I drive charter buses for now. That is, until the movie industry returns to the area.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I've got a class a but haven't left my current line of work to go drive, I'm planning on doing so soon, and one company that keeps showing over and over is us xpress, steady work, newer trucks, give them call.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I still have my class A, but all I do anymore is haul farm equipment. ( Combines SUCK!)
Lucily, I am also the parts dept. mgr., and we now have another guy who is also our small engine mechanic who has a CDL, so I dont have to drive no where near as often! -thank goodness!-
I know people bitch about Werner. Hell, give 'em a chance & truck driver's will bitch about ANYTHING!
But my time with Werner was really good. Maybe I just got lucky!
I know their pay is LOW per mile. But that's not the whole story!
I left Werner to drive for JB for nearly DOUBLE CPM. Thought I'd hit it big!
So I left Werner 379 Pete & got my JB pos freightshaker, and sat. And sat. And sat. And sat. And sat. And sat.
Seems like I was turned into a "Mobil storage unit!"
EVERYWHERE I was sent with JB was short little 250 - 400 mile runs. That in itself may not sound too bad, but ABSOLUTLY EVERYWHERE I went when I got there it was CONSTANT one delay after another.
In summary, after "All the dust settled", because Werner kept my wheels TURNING, I made almost TWICE the BRING HOME pay when I was with Werner than I did with JB!
Of course, keep in mind, this was also way back in 2004! :lol:
Hindsight: I do NOT miss ANY of it! :lol:

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I was going to get mine so I was legal several times to test drive our company trucks and stuff, but held off because I didn't want to add to my chores at work. There's so much pressure here with cheap drivers that the normal guys keep getting cut back. I have several friends that drive/drove for big name companies... If you could get on with the city or something like ups. Those jobs are never going to go away at least ... I wish you luck in your search man !!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have mine, drove for a couple years before I joined the service. I loved driving, will probably do it again one day. I drove for Con-way Truckload (the old CFI) they had great equipment, 13 speed Kenworths, paper logs with not a whole lot of log checks so you could run pretty hard. I made great money because I was single with no debt. Now they are switching to automatic internationals, paperless logs, and way more Qualcomm monitoring from what I understand. I think if I drive again I'll look at May trucking simply because they have a terminal in my town so I'd be able to get home more often. From what I understand, Crete has a pretty good regional fleet too if you don't want 48 states and Canada.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
i had my permit, and im looking at getting it reinstated.

there's a lot of demand super locally for truck drivers, moving logs.

from rainier, OR (over the state line the Columbia river) to Longview, WA state and the other way too.
there's a small rail line that is cheaper to ship logs then BNSF rail and they load, un load in rainier.
the mills are in WA thus trucks are used to take the logs over the bridge to WA

·
Registered
271 Posts
Have a CDL A and own a truck to boot. Finding a new wont be to hard the freight market has picked up considerably and most companies are in a fairly serious hiring mode right now. they are especially interested in drivers with low or no CSA 2010 points. there are even a bunch out there paying hiring bonuses for no point drivers.

As for the paper log versus electronic log argument its a wash. I have been an owner operator for several years now and am considering paying to put a electronic log system in my truck. It just doesnt pay to screw with the logs any more. get caught and the fines start at $350 and the CSA points add up real quick. Just not worth it in my lowely opinion.

Truth is if I could sellmy truck right now I would and go to work for a company. Much easier on the stress levels nowadays lol.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
CDL A here in Northern Nevada. I just drive in a local area. I usually put on 200 to 400 miles a day depending on the run. Usually work about 50 to 55 hours in a 5 day period. Weekends off and paid by the hour. My truck is a 07 KW with a roll off bed and I also pull a trailer with another roll off on it. I pick up scrap metal in the area mines and on occassion I move excavators to different jobsites. I work for a good company, Pacific Steel and Recycling that is based out of Montana. They have about 35 branches in the Northwest and are expanding every year. I wish I had not spent the first 25 years in the propane industry. I hope and plan to finish out my working career with this job.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I carry a class A with an X endorsement. Ran tankers for more years than I want to remember.

Two strokes and insulin injections have cost me my health ticket and when its time to renew I won't have my CDL any more. Its a shame. I've been a driver since I was 12 and held just a farm license that let me drive the farms old B model Mack. Now, at 60 I've driven the last rig I will ever drive. :angryfire:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good to hear from all of you guys. I had a very blunt conversation with my company this week informing them that if things didn't change quick that I was leaving. I am a good driver, I have a perfect CSA score, and have been with them for almost 6yrs. They assured me that they would fix the problems in dispatch that caused my lapse in pay. Then Friday they surprised me with a new truck. It is one of two like it in the fleet and the shop manager says they are the nicest trucks we have ever bought. It is a 2011 Freightliner Cascadia 72" midroof. The other new trucks are all Peterbilts and while they look good, they are always in the shop. Not to mention that the visibility and turning radius are both horrible.

I got the keys today, and I'm moving into it tomorrow. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Would love to help you out Mike, but I've only worked for local company or locally based dedicated run company. I've pretty much been with BLD for the last 7 years. We are primarily a roll-off company. We have about 20 roll-off trucks and 5 road trucks. If you ever move to GA I could be a lot more help, but it sounds like your company may treat you right after all. Some times it just takes being blunt. I've been told that I have an abrasive personality cause I ain't scared to be blunt with the owner to get answers. I hope it all works out for you.

Ro-joe Ro-joe 42 (BEEP)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Jason,

Hopefully this week will be back to normal and the paychecks will get back to where they need to be.

It needs a bath, but here is the first shot of my new ride:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
johnnie59 said:
I carry a class A with an X endorsement. Ran tankers for more years than I want to remember.

Two strokes and insulin injections have cost me my health ticket and when its time to renew I won't have my CDL any more. Its a shame. I've been a driver since I was 12 and held just a farm license that let me drive the farms old B model Mack. Now, at 60 I've driven the last rig I will ever drive. :angryfire:
Sorry to hear it Johnny. I just started with the whole blood sugar deal (type 2), I hope to be able to keep it where it needs to be. Meat and veggies is about all I can eat anymore but dammit I have a wicked sweet tooth and am not against an occasion beer. In order to live longer I have to stop eating the things that makes a person enjoy life.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts