Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I depress the 4WD button it generally engages within 10 seconds, I assume I should be moving a bit. What exactly is the point/situation when the system should be disengaged? I have been turning it off while I am moving at 40 mph+ and sometimes the 4WD dash light flashes for 3/4 of a mile until it disengages. Is this normal?

I want to add I have been amazed how well this truck does in snow. We drove out of our garage this week and through 18-20 inches of very heavy white stuff and the truck just plows right through it! :p I am very impressed! I really thought the underside and front airdam would slow it's ability in snow but I have been proved wrong. Oh and by the way I am running 4 Brand New Cooper Discoverer M & S tires, unstudded.

Tim
VT USA

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's all electronically controlled and actuated on the 1998+ rodeos. There's an electric clutch that engages/disengages the transfer case, and an electric actuator that locks/unlocks the front axle. IIRC- the system needs to see both front wheels are turning at the same speed for the SOTF (front axle) actuator to work. My 2002 does the same thing as yours on the fly. You wont instantly trash your 4x4 system by shifting on the fly, but it's WAY less shock on the system if you turn 4x4 on/off as you are coasting, or just rolling. It's tough on that front drive shaft to go from zero to high RPM's all at once.

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it's not turning off faster because there is a bit of slippage to the front wheels with the snow covered roads? The front wheels are probaly not turning at the same rate when I disengage, just a thought.

Tim H.
VT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.