Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was held up on a repair today because I could not figure out how to remove the parking brake assembly and was unable to remove my rear axles.It doesn't even look like it can be done. Surely I'm wrong about this. I run an '86 Trooper II.

On a related note, my old drums are apparently "too thin" and I can't get anyone to turn them "legally." Can I use the old drums with new shoes for a few days until some new ones come in?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'm not familiar with the parking brake assembly, so I can't speak on that. I can say that as long as there aren't grooves in the drums that will wear into the new pads, you should be ok to use them.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

Reactions: dr_worm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shooter, you're a lifesaver. Also, I doubt that Isuzu could have made it any more difficult to take this thing apart!

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
I don't know if there are short cuts. My parking brake experience is limited (none). The illustrations are from the 86 manual.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Are you asking how to separate the cable from the backing plate, which you have to do to pull the axle?
If it is like on my LUV there is a multi-arm spring clip holding it in place, similar to some fuel line connections. To release it slide a 10mm box end wrench over the cable end, push the wrench down hard against the backing plate while tugging on the cable housing from the other side of the backing plate. the 10mm wrench is exactly the right size to compress the spring arms small enough to allow them to slip through the hole in the backing plate. To replace just push the cable end and spring clip through the hole from the back side until it snaps back in place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only had to remove the back half of the cable on each side. I started at step 7 and worked my way down. The axles are at the shop now, I couldn't remove the lock nut. On to search threads about replacing bearings (can I do that myself?).

Thanks again!

And thanks for the tip about the wrench, oldestisuzuist, it'll come in handy here soon, what with a brake job coming up as well.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
You'll want to transport the housing to a qualified shop to perform that task. They'll have the press and skills. Perhaps the shop where you took your axles. You'll want to gather up your new bearings, seals, races, etc and let the shop install them them correctly. That's something you can really screw up without experience and the proper equipment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts