Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Qaiphyx said:
Might be of benefit if you posted the vehicle type, year, etc.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Do you have the key for the ignition now? If so it is really easy. Take off the plastic cowl off around the column. Then insert key and turn it to accessorie . There is a small button that engages the column. With the key turned the button will depress and then you pull the cylinder out with the key. You CANNOT remove cylinder unless you depress the release button. You will damage the column. Don't force it . It should come right out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
When you remove the cowl you will see the aluminum steering column. You will also see where the cylinder goes into the column. Look around the cylinder and you will see a little button in the column. If I remember it is on the top of the column. It is about 1/8 inch round. I'll try to find a pic of it

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to the wrecking yard and tried pressing down that release button a couple of ignition switches and I could get it to release, would could I possibly be doing wrong?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Qaiphyx said:
I went to the wrecking yard and tried pressing down that release button a couple of ignition switches and I could get it to release, would could I possibly be doing wrong?
You have to have the key in the cylinder.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You only turn the key to the first position. Not all the way to start or even the on position . The button will press easily. Once the button is pressed gently pull on the key . The key cannot come out of the cylinder because it has been turned and then the cylinder will come out with the key still in it. If you have more problems I will take my column apart and make you a video.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I'll have to try again, I had the key turned to the position where the electrical is on but the direction opposite than that which you go to start the car. So it goes power/off/run/start, I had it at power.also whats the best tool to depress the button with?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just press it with a pick or small screw driver. If you go to utube and type how to remove ignition cylinder there are some videos on the subject. I would put a link but I'm on my iPad and not my computer

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Selador said:
Qaiphyx said:
You have to have the key in the cylinder.
Qaiphyx said:
I know, it was in the cylinder, and turned to farthest to me.
Your key fit the ones at the wrecking yard ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no there was already one in them, some times the yards leave the key in them.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Qaiphyx said:
no there was already one in them, some times the yards leave the key in them.
Ah. Ok.

I've never seen the keys in any vehicle in any junkyard, myself. Hence my wonderment. LOL

:D :D :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so mine is drilled out on my car, I still dont have the other one, but when drilled out? What is the method at that point for pulling out the switch, or the rest thereof?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bring up old things, but this seems to be the only place I find this. Anyway, I assume my 95 troopers ignition cylinder removes the same as all these, but do I have to disconnect the fuses and relays for the airbag, or can I just leave the battery disconnected for an hour before I tear into the column?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts