Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seen the special edition troops and heard they have almost zero roll. what parts in the susp. are different than my stock troop? (stock except for sensa tracs)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
It's an SUV, it's never gonna handle like a lotus. You may improve it somewhat, but don't set your hopes too high!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
You need HD front torsion bars, Adcco aftermarket HD sway bars front and rear and some real good shocks. A square shouldered tire like a BFG AT handles much better than a round shouldered tire like a Goodyear wramgler AT. These changes will make a noticable difference. But a Trooper will never handle like a Lotus.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I believe dryvr12 was referring to the lotus edition troopers, not an actual lotus, that would be a bit far-fetched...

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
No "lotus edition Troopers" that I'm aware of

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I don't think we got them here but in OZ and elsewhere they got Troopers badged with (handling by Lotus). Both Isuzu and Lotus were GM owned companies. I believe they may have had a little heavier springs and shocks then the Trooopers we saw ibn the US. More marketing than anything.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Here is the rear sway bar you need.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACO-461/

Here is the front sway bar.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACO-563/
These sway bars make a huge difference with body roll.

Add the heavy TB's from indy 4x and some OME or bilstien shocks.
This will help with brake dive and body roll.

1st though you need to make sure your stock bushings and steering parts are in good shape.

Next step would be some OME 028 rear springs and shackles.

I have all these mods and more in my build threads below.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
squatch said:
But a Trooper will never handle like a Lotus.
Damn !!! That's the ONLY reason I got this trooper. I thought it would handle like a lotus.

Now I'm going to have to find a different rig.

And here, I just wasted all that time and money.

:wink: :D :D

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If you just want to reduce body roll but keep it smooth then go with the front and rear sway bars with poly bushings. If you want to firm up the ride then you can add some OME shocks and heavy duty torsion bars. I don't think stiffer rear springs will help much since there is not much weight back there compared to the front and the rear sway bar may induce oversteer just by itself. Stiffer springs will just make it worse.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
betterthanyou said:
If you just want to reduce body roll but keep it smooth then go with the front and rear sway bars with poly bushings. If you want to firm up the ride then you can add some OME shocks and heavy duty torsion bars. I don't think stiffer rear springs will help much since there is not much weight back there compared to the front and the rear sway bar may induce oversteer just by itself. Stiffer springs will just make it worse.
Whats the point if it will never handle like a lotus ?

Youns are seriously bumming me out, here.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=54659

i do mean the lotus special edition. if i wanted lotus handling i woulda bought a lotus... does seem like it would cost more than its worth though.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Just cut some chunks of 2x4's and shove em in there you'll have a nice stiff suspension lol. I think you got your answer ten fold .....are you going to off road your rig or drive the freeways at 90 pluss??? You could just get like rancho 9000's that are adjustable for that super stiff sport ride and then back them off for off roading!!!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I've heard the adjustment in those rancho 9000's is garbage. They work but the difference between the softest and hardest setting are minimal.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
squatch said:
I don't think we got them here but in OZ and elsewhere they got Troopers badged with (handling by Lotus). Both Isuzu and Lotus were GM owned companies. I believe they may have had a little heavier springs and shocks then the Trooopers we saw ibn the US. More marketing than anything.
Australia had HSV (Holden Special Vehicle) which was just a better interior trim and rims

the lotus is firmer sway bars, shocks, coils, and torsion bars, or the tow pack if you will... in other words, great on road, useless offroader

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
out here in il there is no place to wheel. so it would be 99.9% on road only. i do mall crawl a little, so for something like clearing a curb, i would think it would be fine.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
chikoroll said:
squatch said:
Australia had HSV (Holden Special Vehicle) which was just a better interior trim and rims

the lotus is firmer sway bars, shocks, coils, and torsion bars, or the tow pack if you will... in other words, great on road, useless offroader
so just a whole new suspension. i wasnt planning on doing a swap, just more of a question asked out of curiosity.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I havent ever ran them but a few friends of mine have there fairly adjustable ,one set was on a baha the other is my friends amigo. What I have seen is the knob/dial strips easy then ya can't adjust them. But for what he wants probly monroe's, sway bars and a bushing r&r on anything chinned or worn. He would be the king... Like Elvis...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts