Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to remove my driver's side, front seat head rest that slides into and out of the seat itself. But it won't slide all the way out. Anyway to remove the head rest without damaging the seat, etc?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
troopergate said:
I would like to remove my driver's side, front seat head rest that slides into and out of the seat itself. But it won't slide all the way out. Anyway to remove the head rest without damaging the seat, etc?
I'm confused...just depress plastic button at base of headrest and pull it out?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Bansil said:
troopergate said:
I'm confused...just depress plastic button at base of headrest and pull it out?
yeah....thats what they've always done as far as i know....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, at least on my 89 trooper there ain't no little plastic button to push. So I guess I am still asking. I want to remove the headrest so I can wear my cowboy hat. Otherwise the back of it hit the headrest. I could just cut it off but would rather not. Any more suggestions??

·
Registered
337 Posts
troopergate said:
I want to remove the headrest so I can wear my cowboy hat. Otherwise the back of it hit the headrest.
haha, that's f'n funny! I have 4 solutions:

1: If you do not ride a horse or hang with cows, just take the hat off.
2: Cut the headrest off cause nobody rests their head on it anyways.
3: Get a different seat from another vehicle.
4: Use a booster seat so the brim of your hat clears the top of the headrest.

#1 is probably the easiest to do but seeing you are from Texas, you might just be a cowboy.

If you are a cowboy, then I'd go with #2

Then again, you could just take the hat off. :idea:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, that's funny! I have 4 solutions:

1: If you do not ride a horse or hang with cows, just take the hat off.
2: Cut the headrest off cause nobody rests their head on it anyways.
3: Get a different seat from another vehicle.
4: Use a booster seat so the brim of your hat clears the top of the headrest.

#1 is probably the easiest to do but seeing you are from Texas, you might just be a cowboy.

If you are a cowboy, then I'd go with #2

Then again, you could just take the hat off. :idea:[/quote]

I'm going to have to mull these 4 options over real good. But I think I can eliminate #4 because that just ain't going to work for me. What will my horse think of me? And #3 appears to be almost impossible. And I have been taking my hat off and but head gets cold. So maybe I'll just cut the damn thing off. But I will wait a spell to see if I get a better solution. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Normally there is a small release button at the base of one of the metal bars... sounds like you don't have that. :?

Next option would be to raise the headrest all the way up, and then give a firm pull using 2 hands to lift it up and out.

You might have to get a claw screwdriver and fish under the plastic tabs at the base of the headrest to release the clips.

Here are a couple of pictures to help visualize what might needs to be done... even easier for us if you could post a picture of you headrest. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Van, I cannot thank you enough for all the trouble ...with the diagrams and all ....but my particular factory seats do not have the button as shown as #1. Instead I have fabric grommets "pinched/secured" to the fabric. One is ripped. The other is still attached as it came from the factory. Feeling down the shaft that goes down into the seat, I don't feel a clip or release. Instead, immediately under the grommet is a hard plastic ring. Even with the grommet lifted away from it, it is hard to probe around this hard plastic ring. But as soon as I can I will. Too bad there is not a simple release. But I see the owners manual warning NOT to operate the Trooper with the headrest removed (as if you can remove it). Cutting it is the simple solution. But I will keep trying. Perhaps there is something on that hard plastic button below the grommet. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Step one: raise headrest to highest point.

Step two: jam floor jack in gap.

Step three: Manipulate jack handle so as to raise jack and force headrest off!

No, seriously, I have no clue how to remove them, but I had a vision of the floor jack thing, and could not resist!!!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
sammynomas said:
Step one: raise headrest to highest point.

Step two: jam floor jack in gap.

Step three: Manipulate jack handle so as to raise jack and force headrest off!

No, seriously, I have no clue how to remove them, but I had a vision of the floor jack thing, and could not resist!!!
:lol: :lol:

Try reclining the seat down a little, get in the back passenger seat (you'll get better leverage) and then pull on the headrest.

Sometimes it takes a good tug to get it out.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Just went and tried my 89. What a bear. Sprayed with silicone and raised it. See no way to remove. The manual says to raise and then to "release the lock to lower the restraint". Found no stinkin' "lock". Looking at the guts on myisuzu, I see no locking mechanism. BTW, do not enter "seat" on a keyword search at myisuzu. You'll be scrolling for a long, long time.:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I did it. Yeah. Here is how..... I removed a long wire under the headrest that let me find what is inside the headrest. That being the two rods up indside but they are connected by a flat/wide piece of metal...so you get a goal post of sorts. I then took an old piece of wood about 12" long and centered it under the cross metal and using a hammer hit upwards to give me more force than just pulling up. It came out on the third hit. Flew out would be better and ended up near the gas pedal. I then took the fabric grommet that had come off and removed the bottom circular flange with my dremmel cutter. Then use black silicone to glue it flat, over the hole in the seat. Filled hole with same silicone to give a finished look. Then filled the other grommet, without cutting it, because it was still in place from the factory. Now all is drying and the next time I'll be a driving, I'll be wearing my cowboy hat in style. :) Thanks for all the input. The "pulling real hard" comment got me thinking about using the hammer and wood up on the cross piece inside the headrest, itself. My driver-side headrest was a bit loose under it. Not so with the passenger side. Being how it was loose I saw the long wire and after straightening one end it just pulled out easy. This let me kind off dig and push away the foam and that let me see how the two rods that go up into the headrest were connected...thus the perfect place to hammer upward. Case closed. My next project is going to be painting my trooper. I am going to use a HVLP spray gun and shoot it with Sherm Chem which is a fast drying, high quality enamel paint from Sherwin Williams. $50 a gallon. I will post pictures of this project as I start to do it. I plan to paint it outdoors.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Hammer; the original multi-tool.:D

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I just removed the headrests on my 88 with little problem.

The driver's side came out in a flash. I was expecting some trouble, so I put the flat of my hand under it, and gave a good yank, and ended up throwing it. LOL

The passenger side came out just so far, then needed a yank to get it the rest of the way out.

What happens is there are 'spring catches' down inside the holes that catch on the sloped areas of the posts.
headrest.JPG

In the inset, you can see that whatever the catch is, it does seem to catch a final time on a small "flat" for want of a better description.

I didn't see any kind of 'release' anywhere. Not even the tiniest thing.

So, I would suggest as others have, that you use some force. Wrap some wrags around your scizzor jack, or something, and use that.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Dang. I started writing that a couple hours ago. LOL

Got side tracked with phone calls and other things, and finally got it posted... And you already have it finished.

BTW: My driver's side headrest ended up in the same place. Right under the gas pedal. LOL

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Selador said:
I just removed the headrests on my 88 with little problem.

The driver's side came out in a flash. I was expecting some trouble, so I put the flat of my hand under it, and gave a good yank, and ended up throwing it. LOL

The passenger side came out just so far, then needed a yank to get it the rest of the way out.

What happens is there are 'spring catches' down inside the holes that catch on the sloped areas of the posts.

In the inset, you can see that whatever the catch is, it does seem to catch a final time on a small "flat" for want of a better description.

I didn't see any kind of 'release' anywhere. Not even the tiniest thing.

So, I would suggest as others have, that you use some force. Wrap some wrags around your scizzor jack, or something, and use that.
Exactly what I got! Been trying and thinking for a year to get it off and how to get it off. January 3rd, 2012 it finally sits in my storage building. I am leaving the passenger headrest alone/ as is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts