Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how common the four wheel disk brakes were on the early Amigos and Rodeos and such. The Amigo I purchased came with the disk brakes, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think all 4wd models had discs all around 88 and up. 2wd were normally drum in rear. There might have been some bastard years with drums for 4wd but only on the rodeo/amigo/pickup. Trooper from 88 up were all disc and only available in 4wd(untill 2000 but those still had disc rear still).

Con

·
Registered
14 Posts
My (long-gone) '92 Rodeo S with 4wd had rear drums as I recall. The rear brakes never needed service (in 100,000 miles) so it's hard to remember.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I thought I might have been special...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tad said:
You do! Just think of the other vehicles with rear drums:

Tacoma
Jeep
S10

etc

Enjoy your Isuzu,
Tad
Sorry Tad, 98 and up s10 went disc rear as well(4wd models). Mine has 4 wheel disc.

Cheers,
Con

·
Registered
558 Posts
well i know that from 86.5 up all troopers were 4wheel discs. The 12bolt Isuzu rear was the axle that had discs, and i think some of the Danan44s that were under Rodeos and Amigos got discs too.

·
Registered
558 Posts
realy? i was perty shure that 86.5 was when the 12bolt rear came in and it had rear discs. Huh guess i was wrong :oops:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wasnt tryin to dis on your info man...just sayin mine has drums.
As far as I know mine coudve been changed. Ive only had mine for a little over a month and dont know much about it,or Isuzus in general.

This site is helping alot in that area though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How would one who doesn't know any better tell whether they had a dana44, an izuzu 12 bolt, or something else for the axle?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
If you have a 1st gen Amigo or Trooper with disc brakes, you have an Isuzu 12-bolt (the 98+ Troopers have a modified 12-bolt). If you have a 2nd gen Amigo, or 98+ rodeo, you have a Dana 44. If you have a Trooper with drum brakes, you have the Isuzu 10-bolt rear. I believe the same is true for the 1st gen Amigo.

For Rodeos, it's my understanding that 1st gen Rodeos with Disc brakes have the D44, and the ones with Drums have the GM axle.

-Tad

·
Registered
192 Posts
RWA3 said:
mepr said:
well i know that from 86.5 up all troopers were 4wheel discs.
Well my 87 Trooper II has drums in the rear. :?
My Sis's inlaw had an 87 4wd and it was drums too.

·
Registered
558 Posts
humm well i guess you learn something new everyday eh :)
As far as telling the diference between an Isuzu axle and the others its realy easy. The Isuzu axles have a third member design so on the back of the axle there will be no removeable cover. The others will have a cover. As far as telling Dana from GM, thats perty easy too (if this axle is like a GM10bolt anyway). The GM axle might have little ears off the bottom of the axle (im shure youve seen what im describing under s-10s and 1/2ton pickups). Then the Dana, i dont realky know its identifying marks as i have never worked whith them...

·
Registered
790 Posts
87.5 is the cross over point for Troopers. All 86s are drum rear with 10 bolt Isuzu diff, late 87s are like 88s with 12 bolt diff and discs.

Most of the switchovers of 86 to 87 parts were in trucks with a manufacturer date of about oct-nov of 1986 so it is kind of confusing. They were made in 86, but sold in 87 as 87 model year. If you get one from right in the middle of the transition you might have all sorts of mixed up parts. 10 bolt front with 10 bolt rear, round or square headlights, 2.3L carb or 2.6L Injected motor, 84-86 dash or 88 style dash (with the little lip running clear across). For the most part though, if your 87 has round headlights you have an 86 and if it has square lights you have an 88.

I dunno so much about the Amigo, Pickup, and Rodeos yet but it looks like Tad has that part of this thread covered pretty well. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
800XL said:
87.5 is the cross over point for Troopers. All 86s are drum rear with 10 bolt Isuzu diff, late 87s are like 88s with 12 bolt diff and discs.

Most of the switchovers of 86 to 87 parts were in trucks with a manufacturer date of about oct-nov of 1986 so it is kind of confusing. They were made in 86, but sold in 87 as 87 model year. If you get one from right in the middle of the transition you might have all sorts of mixed up parts. 10 bolt front with 10 bolt rear, round or square headlights, 2.3L carb or 2.6L Injected motor, 84-86 dash or 88 style dash (with the little lip running clear across). For the most part though, if your 87 has round headlights you have an 86 and if it has square lights you have an 88.

I dunno so much about the Amigo, Pickup, and Rodeos yet but it looks like Tad has that part of this thread covered pretty well. :)
My Sis's inlaws must have had a mid year 87 then. It had square lights but only had a 2.3L engine and still had drums in the rear.

Con

1 - 20 of 23 Posts