Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my books it says my rear end could either be a Dana, A banjo?.. and one other one.. but I dont have a metal tag on my rear end to tell me.. is there a special way to tell?

also.. in the book it says the check/fill plug for the diff is on the diff cover? I have seen 4 diff rodeo rear ends and not one had this there?... the check/fill for me and the other rear ends was on the passenger side of the diff and takes a ratchet extension to open it.........?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If there is a removable metal cover on the back of the axle housing it is either a GM 7.625" or a Dana 44- and is US-built. No cover, the differential housing bolts to the front of the axle housing it is a corporate Isuzu 12-bolt (I think)- and is Japan-built. If Rodeo's came with the Isuzu 10-bolt it's just a smaller versin of the 12-bolt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the diff cover is 10 bolts????... yesterday was first time every rebuilding/messing with a rear end so kind of a new mechanical area to me. but I am replacing the brakes today so I will check it out and see if it has a gm code... maybe that will tell me something? and then I will report back.. just trying to figure it out because the book gave me 3 options and each one took a diff amount of fluid lol.

·
Registered
199 Posts
the amount of bolts on the cover is not what determines it to be a 10 or 12 bolt, correct me if im wrong but I believe that the determining bolts are to the ring gear inside the diff

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Boogieman said:
I know the diff cover is 10 bolts????...
Correction, bolt count (i.e. 8 bolt /10 bolt / 12 bolt) is in reference to how many bolts hold the ring gear on the carrier, inside the housing.

If the axle is original the easy way to tell is : does the rear diff have bolts on the bumper side or the driveline side?
Driveline side = isuzu corp 12 bolt
Bumper side = (IIRC) d44

~psguardian

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got no clue lol.. i just always thought that was how u told.. like i said.. ive never messed with rear ends before.. im usually just a engine guy or brakes.. yesterday was first time rebuilding a rear end.. easier than was told... but still.. gotta learn something new daily lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
psguardian said:
Boogieman said:
I know the diff cover is 10 bolts????...
Correction, bolt count (i.e. 8 bolt /10 bolt / 12 bolt) is in reference to how many bolts hold the ring gear on the carrier, inside the housing.

If the axle is original the easy way to tell is : does the rear diff have bolts on the bumper side or the driveline side?
Driveline side = isuzu corp 12 bolt
Bumper side = (IIRC) d44

~psguardian
ill check... and which bolts you talkin about.. sorry sounding like a noob.. but u mean the bolts inside the diff or outside???

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
My bad, the bolts on the outside. If you have a 'traditional' diff cover on the bumper side it's NOT an isuzu rear end.

~psguardian

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Well that scratches Isuzu corp 12 bolt off the list.

BTW love your sig.

Since You're in the Pacific North West you should join us on the face book group, if you do FB. (link in my sig)

~psguardian

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol ya i love my sig too lol.. and yea.. im already on there lol.. Aaron Carey.. probably seen me post in the PNWZOO page a few times lol... n just about done with my rear end buuutt.. have to drill out the drain/fill plug... it dont wanna move :(... luckily i have a spare

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The one pic that shows two ears pointing down from the bottom corners of the housing- sort of look like vampire fangs- classic identifier of a GM differential, in your case a 7.625" 10-bolt, and for a GM the "10-bolt" refers to the number of cover bolts.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Boogieman said:
How can I tell what rear end I have?
Well, first you need two mirrors...

Ok, somebody had to say it.

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oldestisuzuist said:
The one pic that shows two ears pointing down from the bottom corners of the housing- sort of look like vampire fangs- classic identifier of a GM differential, in your case a 7.625" 10-bolt, and for a GM the "10-bolt" refers to the number of cover bolts.
shweet... yea i finally noticed it says GM 1 or K or something i dont know.. ill get the numbers tomorrow... but it goes have a big GM stamp on the housing facing the front of the vehicle.. darn.. was hoping it was a dana haha..

@Selador..... LOL hahaha. ^__^

1 - 14 of 14 Posts