Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the junk yard yesterday and tested fitted the airbox from the 2000+ Passport into the 94 Rodeo. What you need to do is use the bottom of the 2000 airbox and the top of yours. Then line it all up and use the fender tube from the 2000 onto the lower 2000 airbox. Doing all this means the engine pulls air from inside the fender instead of inside the engine bay. Also make it easier to add a snorkel later. Yes the bottom of the 2000 air box uses the same bolt holes as the 93 box.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Kable said:
Went to the junk yard yesterday and tested fitted the airbox from the 2000+ Passport into the 94 Rodeo. What you need to do is use the bottom of the 2000 airbox and the top of yours. Then line it all up and use the fender tube from the 2000 onto the lower 2000 airbox. Doing all this means the engine pulls air from inside the fender instead of inside the engine bay. Also make it easier to add a snorkel later. Yes the bottom of the 2000 air box uses the same bolt holes as the 93 box.
Pics ?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I cut out part of my airbox and also cut off the elbow in the fender.

Before I started, as you can see in inlet of the elbow is pretty small..

Here you can see the inlet of the actual airbox, it's just like the inlet of the elbow and is flat on the bottom for some reason making the hole smaller.

First thing I did was cut the flat part off of the airbox inlet so more air can pass through, it definetly opened it up more.

I then cut the whole elbow off, but kept the bigger part where the airbox inlet goes into. That way I won't suck in any hot engine bay air and all the air will still come from the fender, but it's a much bigger opening with no bends and doesnt reduce.

Here is that peice back installed onto the fender.

I then cut the little box out of the actual airbox so it's all open.

You can now actually see inside of the airbox now if you look into the inlet hole

Then I just blew all of the plastic shavings out of the box, reinstalled the box and put in my K&N filter and it's done! It looks 100% stock still and can't even tell anything was done to it.

I'm not sure if it's going to give me any gains but it's definetly going to breath a little better now. It's also slightly louder which is pretty cool. I didn't take pics of this but I also drilled a small hole in the bottom of the box just in case any water gets in there, it will be able to drain out before anything bad happens.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I did the same as Clipper did with the airbox and added 3" fexible hose through plastic inner fender to the fog light cutout for cold air. tony

·
Registered
928 Posts
Curious if cutting the elbow and opening up the intake hole on the box itself will not allow for the future addition of a snorkel. I definitely want to get one in the future and I don't want to have to buy another box...

But for now, I gotta get rid of this damn calmini filter- what a piece of garbage

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'm not sure man, I havent really seen exactly how people are hooking up their snorkels. There isn't really much of a difference other than sound from what I can tell. I know it's getting air easier, and maybe gained 1-2 HP but that's probably it if anything. If I were you i'd just install the stock airbox back in and live with it until you get your snorkel.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That's exactly what I'm gonna do!

After I put a stock box back in I'm gonna replace the stock tubing with some higher flow tubing and see if that helps

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Kable said:
Apparently eyeing it makes it looks like it would work, tried installing it and the mounts dont line up. lol. just my luck. Looks like its K&N Apollo time.....

Has anyone installed this?

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kable said:
Apparently eyeing it makes it looks like it would work, tried installing it and the mounts dont line up. lol. just my luck. Looks like its K&N Apollo time.....

Just bought this from a guy on ebay that used it for a few miles on his wrx, barely used and I got it for 60 shipped. There 130+ new......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.