Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I find out some buddies want to go visit some trails this weekend. I accept and get to work on my second trooper immediately. My goal was to install the Aussie locker and fix the blown brake line. Brake line went easy enough so on to the locker.

I tear everything apart, remove the third member, and what do I find?? A limited slip!!! I'm absolutely pissed. This entire time I've thought this truck had an open differential. It has passed every open differential test I could come up with. One tire on ground: only the other tire would spin. Both tires up: tires spun opposite way. Throttle around corner: no chirp. Option plate: no limited slip. The truck has zero options on it: no power anything. Everything pointed to it being a basic model with an open differential. I can only assume it's been replaced at one point in time.

I can also assume my limited slip is completely shot. So now I have an absolutely useless differential that I can't even install my Aussie in. Now I have to put even MORE money into finding an open third member. I needed the Aussie installed by this Friday because our trails consist of lots of mud and many possibilites to get stuck with an open diff. Now I have to deal with getting stuck non stop. :( Not a good way to represent our Isuzus.

I apologize for the rant. I'm simply very upset. Anybody in WI (near the Fox Valley) have a 12 bolt open third member?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Proptied said:
So today I find out some buddies want to go visit some trails this weekend. I accept and get to work on my second trooper immediately. My goal was to install the Aussie locker and fix the blown brake line. Brake line went easy enough so on to the locker.

I tear everything apart, remove the third member, and what do I find?? A limited slip!!! I'm absolutely pissed. This entire time I've thought this truck had an open differential. It has passed every open differential test I could come up with. One tire on ground: only the other tire would spin. Both tires up: tires spun opposite way. Throttle around corner: no chirp. Option plate: no limited slip. The truck has zero options on it: no power anything. Everything pointed to it being a basic model with an open differential. I can only assume it's been replaced at one point in time.

I can also assume my limited slip is completely shot. So now I have an absolutely useless differential that I can't even install my Aussie in. Now I have to put even MORE money into finding an open third member. I needed the Aussie installed by this Friday because our trails consist of lots of mud and many possibilites to get stuck with an open diff. Now I have to deal with getting stuck non stop. :( Not a good way to represent our Isuzus.

I apologize for the rant. I'm simply very upset. Anybody in WI (near the Fox Valley) have a 12 bolt open third member?
Time to head to the wrecker.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Bummer. I feel your pain. Hope you get it figgered out. Keep us in the loop.

Proptied said:

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
FWIW, most 2nd gens have a LSD.

Try car-part.com for a third...

·
Registered
289 Posts
get an open carrier from matt at Indy4x and shim it. thats what I did. got a used one for cheap. no need for an entire third.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I have the middle guts of the differential itself that came out of a diff a Locker was installed in.

I'll be happy to send it on since it's taking up space in the garage.... but shipping on it was $25 when I had bought it. Up to you..

Otherwise.. in a few weeks I'll have an open 12 bolt rear available out of my truck. It's got 260k hard miles on it and some mean wheeling. I always thought it had too much play in it.. but most here would find it normal.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Proptied said:
It has passed every open differential test I could come up with.
That's why the only test that's ever worth doing is taking the cover off and looking inside.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've decided to just look for an open third/carrier this summer. I really want the Aussie installed in this truck.

Oh well, still had a lot of fun. Pic from this weekend:

Never did get stuck. :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Come on show us more ride pics! :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.