Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Passport 4WD Automatic, Leather, Pioneer AVH-4200NEX w/GPS driving 400 Watt Kenwood amp
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this 2000 Passport/Rodeo over 4 years ago the driver side rear door and quarter panel had pealing clearcoat, also the Cats were clogged it wouldn't go over 20 mph.

Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

After replacing the catalytic convertors it was time for some paint.
I had never painted a car before, got some advice from a buddy and studied the PPG data sheets, bought a cheap HVLP spray gun, spent a couple days prepping the car and the garage.

Car Tire Vehicle Hood Wheel

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

its 9:45 in the evening, I have to admit alcohol was involved, and went and finished the evening.

Automotive lighting Liquid Window Eyelash Tints and shades

The next morning was a shock when I saw the runs, pictures tell a 1000 words, that's when I learned the term wet sanding and polishing, after that the paint wasn't so horrible from 50 feet.

I spent some time with an actual trained automotive painter and purchased a SataJet 5000 HVLP spray guy, needless to say my painting skills have improved since the beginining, I am now painting one piece at a time and just slowly working my way around the truck, no hurry.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

I found so much debris under the driver fender, after time it would have become an issue, as soon as possible I removed the passenger side and found the same result.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

I repainted the rear quarter.

Please pro car painter guys, be kind :geek:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Very nice! Looks like a good paint job to me!

I've been practicing with 3M wrap on my Isuzu...it, much like painting, is not as easy as it seems...

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Passport 4WD Automatic, Leather, Pioneer AVH-4200NEX w/GPS driving 400 Watt Kenwood amp
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hood Tarpaulin Wood Floor Tints and shades

Previously I removed the roof rack and rubber wear strips and repainted, I like the look with out the rack.

(y)Also the fake push bar does something for the look, at some point picked up the rear spoiler, I love it.

Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire Car

While attempting to repaint the rear driver side door I found a crack, the deeper I ground, the deeper it got, removing the door inner plastic I found severe damage to the outer skin and more holes then swiss cheese, I found a new door shell at Pick a part pick a park for cheap, it was even black.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

after a repaint, its is the best looking panel on the truck.

Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car Tire

A Couple weeks ago (before it got to cold) I painted the mirrors, door handles and various other pieces of trim gloss black, I did use Bluedog Adhesion promoter. I dont have a pic, but they look like glass, I really proud of the mirrors, they were painted vertical and looks like glass with no runs .

If you concerned about my safety painting Polyurethane in my garage, so am I, I do wear full protective gear with a 3M mask and do the best ventilation I can in a garage using fans and exit when done as soon as possible.

Workwear Floor Flooring Hood Gas

I just wish I could control the dust better, I guess that's what 1500 grit wet sanding and polishing is for.

PPG paint is not cheap, and with what I have spent $ in materials, and tools, not to mention the time involved, I could have had it painted and would have had cash left over. I would not have change an thing, I have learned so much, had so much fun and hopefully will learn more, this ain't over yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vehicle Gear shift Car Car seat cover Motor vehicle

Hondo came with stinky cloth seats, I have a steam cleaner and gave them the cleaning of a lifetime, the steam cleaner did indeed remove some of the most dark yucky junk one would ever expect from an almost 20 year old truck with cloth seats, I steam rinsed the seats twice, I allowed them to dry toughly, had fans pointed on them and it was really hot here in Texas.

The steam cleaning released odors in the seats that had been hidden by years of gunk masking it, maybe I should have put a deodorizer in the rinse, duh.

After 2 years of searching almost daily on car-part.com for a full set of (local ) Tan leather seats for a 1998-2004 Rodeo or Passport, then one day "Bingo", 2004 Rodeo. $250

Vehicle Car Car seat cover Steering wheel Motor vehicle

I had to do minor repair to the driver seat cushion, also I removed the donor car powered seat harness to power the seats in my ride.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Window

the back seats were not a straight forward swap, the hinges did not align at all.
I removed the hinges from the donor seats and tossed them, mounted my original hinges to the new seat frames and they mounted perfectly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice job so far!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pioneer AV receiver with GPS, traffic management and back up camera, the GPS and traffic antennas are mounted under the dash pad above the metal frame, have not had an issue with receiving GPS satellites.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

connected to a Kenwood 400 watt 4 channel amp driving two 6 1/2 inch Pioneer Triaxial speakers in the front with separate tweeters.
Note: I had to modify the internal speaker mount to get the 6 1/2 speakers to fit, also had to modify the grills.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

Original back door panel.
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Bag Mesh

modified the rear door panel and installed two Pioneer 6x9 Triaxial speakers, I had to cut some internal structure for speaker magnet clearance, also installed Dynamat on the internal outer door panels
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

still not enough bass, so a 1500 watt Boss amp.
Electrical wiring Gas Machine Automotive exterior Wire

driving a Pioneer 8 inch free air shallow mount subwoofer.
Automotive tire Wood Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

The Sub voice coils are in series (4 ohms impendence) so actual power is closer to 600 watts, the amp is not driving as hard so less heat, considering the lack of airflow the amp gets warm but not to hot.

Automotive tire Camera lens Automotive exterior Door Vehicle door

It does sound pretty good,

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hondo had worn CV boots, 1st attempt was with the Dorman 2 piece super glued together CV boots, would not do that again except for an emergency repair, not only did I get fingers stuck together (more than once) they did not last very long before I started to see issues.
So last year during the shutdown I tore the front suspension apart, Cleaned and repacked the CV joints with correct boots, replaced upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends with new boots, sway bar bushings, wheel bearings (packed of course) and bearing races. then front end alignment of course.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Car

The truck was on jacks in the garage for about 3 months, a month of that time waiting on the inner axle seal from Japan.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the truck had an on going ABS light, when I first read the codes it was almost all of them, I accomplished the circuit board solder repair and ended up with a Code 21 G-sensor fault, after learning the the G-sensor is internal to to the controller I purchased one from a salvage yard, same issue, then got to more from different salvage yards, same issue, so I did a continuity check of all the Abs wiring (I have the service manual in PDF), and found no issues.
Purchased a new ABS controller from Isuzuparts, $230ish later no more ABS light.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
All of the exterior lights have been replaced with LED's, the red LED's behind the red brake light lens just looks so cool, I did have to replace the the blinker with a solid state for the LED's.
Almost all of the interior lights are LED except for the dash lights, that is a future project.
I also did a "Mod" to the Headlight/fog light circuit, now the fog lights/light bar will stay on when the high beams are selected.
It lights up the night.

Atmosphere Automotive lighting Grass Headlamp Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Future projects include (not in any particular order)
  • finish the paint (may never be done).
  • replace front bumper with unit from ARB, and I want a winch.
  • replace tail gate with a Rodeo "No wiper, undercar spare tire" door.
  • braided stainless brake lines from ARB.
  • Dual piston front caliper (Colorado mod) referenced from a previous members post.
  • new grill, mine has several cracks and not long for the world.
    • I removed all the branding from the truck, I like the look, the Honda grill has an "H" which is easily removed, I epoxied a piece of aluminum in place and painted it black. However Honda Passport grills are hard to come by, all I have seen at Pick a part are worse then mine, sill looking.
    • Has anyone blacked out an Isuzu grill? and how did it look? inquiring minds want to know.
  • way in the future plan is to remove the interior including carpet and ceiling and apply Dynamat (the doors are done already) and install a quality carpet kit.
  • and as previously mentioned LED the dash lights.
  • I have also thought about a slight body to frame lift, I don't want to much of a lift and really don't want to mess with the geometry issues with the drive train.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts