Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my spark plugs as per suggested by a couple users, and as it turned out i had champion plugs in there. What i did find was that the tunnel down to the spark plug had oil all around it. And my a shocking coincidence i was two quarts low on oil.

I think i'm going to have to switch back to dino. I think i may have to blame this situation on the seafoam and synthetic.

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Oil in the plug towers is common on higher mileage 3.2/3.5's and should not hurt anything. I've never heard of a tower filling with enough oil to short out the spark plug. You have to pull the valve covers and replace the tower O ring seals to remedy this.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does this mean that oil is getting past my piston rings and into the combustion chamber and then past the spark plugs??? how is the oil getting there. Will i have to change the piston ring seals to fix this properly?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oil is not blowing by the rings let alone AND past the spark plugs. By the way there is oil in the combustion chambers at least on the piston upstrokes and hopefully wiped down by the rings on the downstrokes.

On the older 3.2s the valve cover seal leaked letting oil drip down into the spark plug wells. As a bandaid fix Isuzu issued a TSB to put umbrellas on the spark plug wires and seal them better from the leaking oil. I thought by 2000 they had fixed the problem but maybe not or you just got unlucky with a leak. JTK noted the true fix.

Here is a link to the old TSB - http://www.car-forum.net/isuzu/trooper_ ... 20652.html

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how hard will it be to replace the orings on my spark plug towers. and what would be involved. Also should i take some carb cleaner and clean the spark plugs of the oil that has accumulated on them?

·
Registered
99 Posts
2003 Honda Pilot
19,000 miles.
Used Pennzoil from day one. No probs. Decided to give in the the "hype" and try synthetic.

Used Castrol Synthetic, 5-20. Literally the NEXT DAY the Honda 3.5 is dripping oil. Seeping out of the oil pan gasket, and dripping from the rear main seal. Enough to produce quarter size puddles on the ground each morning.

So I panic and drain the synthetic. Fill back up with Pennzoil, and degrease the mess under the car with Brake cleaner.

Dry as a bone within 5 days.

I WISH I was making this story up. Trust me, I would love to have the benefits of synthetic oil. Price is no problem, I mean heck, gasoline costs 50 bucks a tank... I say splurge on synthetic.... but only if it doesnt leak all over your f-ing garage floor!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It was NOT the synthetic that caused your leak. If so dino.. would not
plug it up.

Did you check:

Proper oil filter
over torqued filter
loose filter

Drain plug gasket
over torqued filter
loose drain plug.

Did you spill any oil while filling?

Seems something just leaked and settled by the pan gasket.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I took it in to the dealer since it was under warranty. They degreased everything, put a florescent dye in the oil, then the next dayused a black light type thing to look for leak sources.

They about crapped their pants. 4 individual sources.

They opened up this little "sight port" between the torque converter and the motor. Clearly could see a substantial leak from the rear main seal. Its a weird little metal door that lets you see between the two. Kinda odd, never seen it in any other car.

The pan gasket seepage was very clear too. Dry everywhere nearby except for about 1" of dampness under the gasket.

Additionally, the gasket between the oil filter adapter and the engine block showed slight seepage, as well as slight seepage on the valve cover.

The motor is spotless (16,500 miles) and so it was easy to see leakge points.

Anyways.... I (and they) were ready to basically put a new motor in it. I needed the car for work, so I made an Appt. to return in 4 days. That night I changed the oil to the "good old" dino stuff I used previously.

Next morning I found just a few drips on the floor. I hosed everything clean with brake cleaner, then the car wash.

By the 3rd day, not a single drip, seep, or slight dampness.

The dealer (and me) are still shaking out heads in disbelief.

We both seem to think I must have got a bad batch of syn. oil or something.... it was just too weird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.