Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new laptop, and those microsoft bastids have screwed us again! This Windows 7 is the crappiest OS I have ever had the displeasure of using. I have pretty much given up on the new one and reverted back to my trusty 7 year old Sony running XP.

Any suggestions on a decent (read FAST) OS that can be installed on the new laptop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
sammynomas said:
Just got a new laptop, and those microsoft bastids have screwed us again! This Windows 7 is the crappiest OS I have ever had the displeasure of using. I have pretty much given up on the new one and reverted back to my trusty 7 year old Sony running XP.

Any suggestions on a decent (read FAST) OS that can be installed on the new laptop?
Linux Mint.

http://linuxmint.com/

Get the linux mint 10.

They are still ironing out the bugs in 11.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
It shouldn't be THAT bad. What are the specs of the laptop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
sammynomas said:
Just got a new laptop, and those microsoft bastids have screwed us again! This Windows 7 is the crappiest OS I have ever had the displeasure of using. I have pretty much given up on the new one and reverted back to my trusty 7 year old Sony running XP.

Any suggestions on a decent (read FAST) OS that can be installed on the new laptop?
Why is it bad? I use it at home and at work.Find it easy to use,but different than xp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well....it is an Acer Aspire with a AMD Dual Core C-50 processor, 3 GB DDR3 ram, a 500 GB HDD, and a 15.6 HD LED LCD screen.

Trust me....this thing is so slow, I can click on a program....go to the kitchen.....come back.....and the program is JUST opening, takes lots longer than my Sony. Websites are slooooow, programs are slooooow......everything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,679 Posts
Did you try turning off all the excess stuff they put on there? I have 7 and the only thing extra running is avira and I have no slowness except the crappy cell phone internet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Go to the start menu

In the search bar, type "msconfig" with out the quotations.

A windows will pop up..click on the startup tab at the top.

Check to see what is starting up everytime you boot the system. Uncheck whatever it is you don't want starting up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Canuck said:
Go to the start menu

In the search bar, type "msconfig" with out the quotations.

A windows will pop up..click on the startup tab at the top.

Check to see what is starting up everytime you boot the system. Uncheck whatever it is you don't want starting up.
Did that...helped a SMALL bit......still slow. Find it sad that my seven year old Sony with 2 gigs of ram, the very first dual core prcessor, and loads of crap on the 100 gig HD SMOKES this junk azz ACER.
 

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
Most Windows 7 computers only have the barebones "starter" edition. If you have that, you should bite the bullet and upgrade to "Home Premium" or one of the others.

But my ancient laptop runs great with Ubuntu Linux. Selador suggested a different distro and I'm not familiar with that one. If I were in the market, I'd check out his link. But Ubuntu is a very easy learning curve for recovering Windows users. As long as you don't use iTunes. There is no iTunes for Linux.

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,001 Posts
My Sony VAIO runs Windows 7. Its about 8 months old and still runs just as fast as the day I got it.
The first thing I did was get rid of all the bloat ware that was installed by Sony.
Acer, HP and Toshiba do the same thing and install crapware. An Acer wouldnt have been my first choice in laptops anyway.

I think Windows 7 is pretty good. Its wayy better than Vista. I still like XP, but its time to move on from that dinosaur.

BTW mine is just running an Intel i3 with 4GB of RAM. This thing is quick and easy to use. I never have to wait for it to load anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
JoeIsuzu said:
Most Windows 7 computers only have the barebones "starter" edition. If you have that, you should bite the bullet and upgrade to "Home Premium" or one of the others.

But my ancient laptop runs great with Ubuntu Linux. Selador suggested a different distro and I'm not familiar with that one. If I were in the market, I'd check out his link. But Ubuntu is a very easy learning curve for recovering Windows users. As long as you don't use iTunes. There is no iTunes for Linux.

Jack
Open synaptic.

Type in "iTunes".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
I'm running Win7 on an old Pentium 4 2.8ghz ToughBook with 1gb of ram, and it's still fairly snappy. On my dualcore AMD tower I built that runs 4gb of ram, its lightning. Try either installing a fresh copy of Win7 or uninstalling all the horse**** that comes preinstalled, and you'll find that it runs a lot better.
Win7 is a major leap forward over all the previous versions of Windows, and while there are a couple quirks I don't like, its not enough to make me go back to XP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Running windows 7 on a two year old Dell 1545 laptop and it's very quick. No lag, just opens everything right on the spot, and even opens system specific admin controls rather quickly compared to others. Your problem is not the OS, it's the laptop and the garbage that is "pre-installed" on the laptop. Now Win 7 isn't perfect but for the latest OS it's pretty good. I also run XP on two different much older systems in our house as well as a "notebook" and the "notebook" isn't as fast as my laptop, but the XP desktops are close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I had no choice in the brand, it was a b-day gift (One that might be returned). It has the Home Premium installed on it. I just checked on prices to bump up the RAM....65 bucks for 8GB of DDR3-1666.....so I might try that.

Just sad that a NEW laptop comes overloaded and slow as ****e!

What really pisses me off is all the windows popping up asking "Are you sure ya wanna do that?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just found an article reviewing the AMD C-50 processor....says it is really only good for basic internet use......so this processor sucks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
sammynomas said:
Well I had no choice in the brand, it was a b-day gift (One that might be returned). It has the Home Premium installed on it. I just checked on prices to bump up the RAM....65 bucks for 8GB of DDR3-1666.....so I might try that.

Just sad that a NEW laptop comes overloaded and slow as ****e!
Yep, my netbook comes loaded as ****** but I erased all the "extras" and still it turns on and works really well for a 1.6GHz processor. Only downfall for acer is the battery, get it replaced as soon as you notice something wrong with it, mine died being 1 year and 3 months old.

sammynomas said:
Just found an article reviewing the AMD C-50 processor....says it is really only good for basic internet use......so this processor sucks!!!.
If the processor is slow, and running on x64 bits. There is your problem, my desktop hic cups sometimes running Opera brower, other than that runs perfect with a 4.2 score, the lowest score is the procesor, so later I will bump it a little bit.
Try to be nice to it, run another web browser instead of internet explorer.

sammynomas said:
What really pisses me off is all the windows popping up asking "Are you sure ya wanna do that?"
Turn off User Access Control if you don't want those pop-ups...

link: http://www.petri.co.il/disable-uac-in-windows-7.htm


That is why I don't use it..... lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
Only a 1ghz processor, see if you can trade it for something faster.
BTW if you think Windows 7 is different than XP go ahead and download Internet Explorer 9- everything is in a different place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,001 Posts
So this is on a Netbook? Theres your problem. Netbooks were never meant to be great performance wise.
They are targeted to people that just need to use the internet to check email and for college kids to use a word processing program.

I hated when I worked in tech support and my customers would refer to their netbooks as laptops, and ask me why it sucked so bad.
Well... if ya just spent $200 more on a REAL laptop, this wouldnt be a problem. :lol:

Windows 7 or Vista on a netbook is going to be horrible. They can barely run XP good, unless you strip it down some.
If its really that bad, return it and get something better. But dont blame it on Windows 7.
Another thing that could cause it to be slow other than the pre-installed stuff, could be faulty hardware.
I have had to replace many hard drives on Acer netbooks/laptops. They failed pretty early. One was within a week of being purchased.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top