Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first say, that you guys who have never been on dialup, or anything near it, have no idea how good youns have had it.

I was on dialup for many years. I had verizon G3 broadband for a couple years.

Today, history is made, near the tiny town of Index Washington !!

We finally have DSL !!!!

They turned it on a couple hours ago, and I have been marvelling ever since.

First thing I did was to watch a free movie.

Didn't even have to wait for it to load up. Just started watching !!!!

Next, I downloaded the iso for the latest version of Linux Mint. 1.35 gigs.

Took about 25 minutes. Meantime, EVERYTHING that I normally do, was still zing zing zinging along !!

I just can't believe how quickly everything goes.

And they say that it will get even faster. There is some kind of problem on the line that they are going to fix tomorrow.

Best of all, no more bandwidth cap.

The movie, and the linux iso this morning, would have taken my cap with verizon close to the limit (that is a limit for total useage for a MONTH). Just those two alone.

This is just amazing.

The only problem I am having, is that I can't send emails out via my old email server, anymore. (And I can't access frontier email yet.)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Haha! I saw in the African Desert Offroad trip where you said it was worth the wait to load. I was thinking, what is this load he speaks of! Glad you're caught up with the rest of us!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
grobrooks said:
Haha! I saw in the African Desert Offroad trip where you said it was worth the wait to load. I was thinking, what is this load he speaks of! Glad you're caught up with the rest of us!
There is a good example.

The download of the 1.35 gigs this morning, took less than 26 minutes.

The wait, to see that vid, the other day, took more than half an hour.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Welcome to the world!

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
:lol: Awesome man welcome to the times!!

I grew up on dial up.. and have been spoiled since college.

Currently, My office has a 100 Mbps fiber connection which is distributed to a Gigabit switch to deliver it right to my PC. :twisted:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Woot! It's nice having a connection that doesn't take half of your life to load a page.

Sadly, I remember when 56k was the stuff, and having DSL connections were limited to the rich and famous or a business. Even the worst DSL connection is better than the best 56k, but it still don't beat Cable.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
ImpulseRocket89 said:
Sadly, I remember when 56k was the stuff,
Ahh you younguns. I remember 300 bps dial up LOL. Granted there wasnt a whole lot to do with it, basically text files or simple BASIC programs from compuserve. And about 1 hr of downloading cost about $60.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I had a Commodore 64 in high school. Never did get a modem for it. 64K RAM, 5 1/4" floppy drive that weighed as much a cinder block. No hard drive. Could run ONE program at a time. No multi-tasking there! I think it had a 16 color monitor. Yeah, 16 colors.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Anyone remember the golden days where you'd google something and at the buttom it would say how it took .00000045 seconds to generate the page but it took 8 minutes to load?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Selador AKA Tat said:
The only problem I am having, is that I can't send emails out via my old email server, anymore. (And I can't access frontier email yet.)
Go Gmail!!

P.S. I liked the other picture.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Med!c said:
Anyone remember the golden days...
...when you had to do your homework in Computer Science class at Radio Shack, on their TRS-80 floor model, because there were twice as many students in the class as computers in the classroom -- that is, when the manager of the store wasn't using it to do her payroll, or calculating her sales and inventory figures (which took forever).

...when everything was programmed in BASIC.

...when one little syntax error would take you hours to find, rendering the entire program useless, all because you transposed a pair of letters or digits on line 320 out of 2000 plus commands.

...when a program wouldn't run, solely because you had already loaded the editor.

...when the salesman that was trying to get you to buy the latest IBM said that you would "NEVER run out of storage space on this little baby" because it had a 2GB hard drive.

I could do this all day :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Smiley said:
...when the salesman that was trying to get you to buy the latest IBM said that you would "NEVER run out of storage space on this little baby" because it had a 2GB hard drive.

Those were the days!

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Nice :lol:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
electricpuppyboy said:
Smiley said:

Those were the days!
Oh Auurchiiee!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
It enables you to run faster and jump higher.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stusvend said:
Yeah, but can I leap tall isuzus in a single bound ?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Selador AKA Tat said:
stusvend said:
Yeah, but can I leap tall isuzus in a single bound ?
No, but your beard can. :p

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
electricpuppyboy said:
Selador AKA Tat said:
Go Gmail!!

P.S. I liked the other picture.
I was on verizon G3, for a couple of years.

I have maintained an old dialup account, simply because of the email address.

I was able to check and send email from that account, without hindrnace on the G3.

Looks like Frontier DSL is blocking port 25. So, I can still recieve mail from that account, but I cannot send mail that way.

And so far, it has been impossible to set up an email account through Frontier, themselves.

When I can afford it, I'll try a different DSL modem, instead of the one Frontier gave me. But I don't hold much hope...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.