Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey group

got a problem that just started on cold days there is a high pitched whine that gets louder as you give it more gas i'm praying it's not an intake manifold it goes away when the engine gets warm but still kinda resembles a exhaust leak sound...help!! it's the 3.2 with 4L30E any ideas or info would help alot!!

Rich
94 Rodeo LS

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Do you have separate belts or do you have just a single serp. belt? If you have multiple belts I would suggest removing belts and starting to see if your sound goes away. Bearings in the front of your accessories can make a high pitched whine. So can your water pump if it's bearings are going south.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx bigpoppa gonna give that a try as soon as it stops snowing i just bought the truck and don't know all that much about them...BTW how do i go about greaseing the sticky spot on the gas pedal thanx for any and all info

Rich
94 Rodeo LS

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
The sticky spot in the gas pedal my not be in the gas pedal. It could be a sticky throttle body. Get some throttle body cleaner in a can and a stiff bristle toothbrush. Take the intkae tube off of the throttle body and spray liberally into the throttle body. Work the gas pedal by hand under the hood. This will open the throttle butterfly, clean the outside edge of the butterfly, and where it seals when closed.

Also you can check the linkage/cable that goes to the throttle body and lube it as well. But I'd say you have a dirty throttle body.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My Rodeo has had the same "whistle" when it's cold and before the engine has warmed up all of the way. I bought my truck new in Hawaii and about 6 months later moved to Upstate NY (thanks to the Navy). During the first winter I noticed it whistling and had it looked at a couple of times... nothing. That was seven years ago and it's been whistling every now and then (when it's COLD) ever since.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That's funny, I was about to take my car to the mechanic today for this same problem. It just stopped all of a sudden once the temp got a little wamer. This is the first time that I ever had it happen.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a thought... You guys aren't mistaking the whining noise to the small electric fan that comes on at startup? I know the 2nd gen Rodeos have them right in front of the radiator, but not sure about 1st gens. It runs for a couple of minutes and then shuts down. Sounds more like a whirring than a whining, but something to check out.

Rob

·
Registered
416 Posts
Nah, this whining sounds a lot like the sound of chalk being screeched on a blackboard. It's really loud and very high pitched.

I haven't been able to pinpoint the source of it, and it only occurs at idle on my car. As soon as you tap the pedal the sound goes away. There are no other signs of abnormal behavior. The engine runs OK, full power, all fluids OK. Just as I was about to go to the mechanic, the patient stops being sick.... :roll:

It sounds like a bad bearing in one of the pulleys, but if the pulleys stop making the noise, how the heck am I going to find it?

They all feel tight and don't wobble so I'm unsure of what other actions I can take before something seizes... :(

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
One possibility is the fan clutch. I had one of those driving me crazy on a car years ago...coulda sworn the alternator bearings were toast by the way it sounded, but it was actually the fan clutch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.