Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1999 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD Auto 3.2L V6

It has a high-pitched loud whining noise when tranny selector is in P,N,D,2,3. It started intermittently and now everytime you put the tranny in P,N,D,2,3 then you hear this loud high-pitched like whining noise.

You can barely hear it inside the vehicle when doors are closed and noise coming out loud outside. Does anybody have similar experience with this kind of problem and what might possibly the problem?

The high-pitched loud whining noise only shows up when the engine is running. The noise shows up when the tranny selector gear is in Park, Neutral, Drive, 2, 3.

I do not hear this loud whining noise if I just turn the ignition switch to accessories and move the tranny selector out of Park to Neutral, Drive, 2, 3. The high-pitched loud whining noise does not show up if the engine is not running.

When the engine is running and vehicle is in motion, the high-pitched noise comes and go.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My first thought would be to have the fluid level checked.

Joe

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not convinced that it is a tranny issue at all. What you are basically saying is that there is a high-pitched whining when the engine is running. Right? If so, it may be the accessory drive belt or one of the accessories, like the alternator.

Spray some water on the belt with the engine running. If it still makes the noise, remove the belt and run the engine briefly. If the noise goes away, then it is probably the a/c, alternator, or one of the other accessories. If it still makes the noise, it could be the water pump.

The other thought is that if the noise goes away in reverse, you may have a collapsed motor mount that is permitting the engine to rub and squeak against something it is not supposed to touch. Open the hood and place the drive selector alternately in forward and reverse. If it really flops around, then you may have a motor mount issue.

Those are the non-tranny things I can think of.

Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Copy and paste from another site, from a fuy who is an Isuzu Tech:

"the driveshaft loop at the rear of the tranny is most likely going to be the culprit I have seen many of them crack at the welds and make some serious noise if it does break off then it really makes noise as it will be hanging up on the driveshaft
just tug on it see if it breaks if so get someone to weld it up
good to go"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts