Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a few questions about hid's.
1 can i just switch bulbs, or do i need a whole package deal
2 i want a blue shade, but not blinding to other drivers. any suggestions? any pictures?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Get ahold of Matt at The Retrofit Source for a complete package. It'll be everything you need to retrofit projectors into your vehicle. I'm not sure if he offers the retrofits themselves, but you could always replace the stock headlights with a custom housing to hold the projectors

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
my headlights have a bluish tint....

and they absolutely suck. previous owner nickle and dimed the rodeo :angry7:

:lol: HID that Trooper. I want to see how it looks driving and cosmetically. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
95Rodeo4x4 said:
my headlights have a bluish tint....

and they absolutely suck. previous owner nickle and dimed the rodeo :angry7:

:lol: HID that Trooper. I want to see how it looks driving and cosmetically. :)
I second motion... The bluish tint SUCK!!! Could not see S..T at night....
Not 10 minutes ago I replaced them with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's. Can't wait to try them out. :clock:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
HIDs in a halogen lamp is A illegal & B blinding to all ahead of you. (the two are directly related) I would LOVE to see a kit or shopping list for Proper conversion to HIDs on all our 4x4 models. Esp 1st & 2nd gen troopers.

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The only way to fit our 1st gen Troopers with HID's is to either grind/sand down and polish smooth the insides of the glass lens, or find someone to make clear plastic lenses. First gen Trooper headlight lenses are designed to direct Halogen light bulbs, not HID's. HID's need a clear lens to work properly.

I have not had any luck finding someone to make plastic lenses, so I am in the process of grinding/sanding down all the refraction lines cast into the glass headlight lenses. It's a long process and I will post all photos with how I did this when I am done. Fortunately I have a pair of extra lenses, so I can keep my RS on the road while I do this.

Once the lenses are smooth and polished, the next step is to modify the shell, as in cut down the shell, to fit the HID projectors. This is a whole other project unto itself.

I think the best HID fit is the Morimoto Mini HID kit, which is sold by The Retrofit Source.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227

Or, you could swap out the rectangular headlights and grill to the round eye style. Round HID kits are readily available.

By the way, I have nothing to gain from mentioning The Retrofit Source. I will say that their customer service was the best of any company I contacted. Very helpful and knowledgeable guys.

psguardian said:
HIDs in a halogen lamp is A illegal & B blinding to all ahead of you. (the two are directly related) I would LOVE to see a kit or shopping list for Proper conversion to HIDs on all our 4x4 models. Esp 1st & 2nd gen troopers.

~psguardian

·
Registered
106 Posts
dryvr12 said:
2 i want a blue shade, but not blinding to other drivers. any suggestions? any pictures?
1. If your HIDs are blinding other drivers, simply just adjust your headlights...

To answer your first question you can just change bulbs AFTER you buy the whole kit. The color of the bulb is determined by how hot the bulb burns. A 6000K bulb is white/light blue, from there up it gets more blue then eventually violet and purple.

2. Heres a great site for HIDs http://shop.hidcountry.com/ ....Local in my town and have all LED products too. I put white LEDs in my reverse lights and its just as bright as my headlights. They even sell HID bulbs now that you can adjust the bulb to avoid blinding other drivers. Also they sell DOT stamped HID kits so IF you do get pulled over you can show that there stamped. Just give them a call, they're awesome people.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
honestly, i dont think its worth my time. the streets here are well lit so hids would be for looks only.

·
Registered
751 Posts
JustBlaise said:
dryvr12 said:
1. If your HIDs are blinding other drivers, simply just adjust your headlights...

To answer your first question you can just change bulbs AFTER you buy the whole kit. The color of the bulb is determined by how hot the bulb burns. A 6000K bulb is white/light blue, from there up it gets more blue then eventually violet and purple.

2. Heres a great site for HIDs http://shop.hidcountry.com/ ....Local in my town and have all LED products too. I put white LEDs in my reverse lights and its just as bright as my headlights. They even sell HID bulbs now that you can adjust the bulb to avoid blinding other drivers. Also they sell DOT stamped HID kits so IF you do get pulled over you can show that there stamped. Just give them a call, they're awesome people.
I swear to god the next person that says HID's in Halogen housings just need adjustment will get beat to death with a rubber mallet. HID'S BELONG IN PROPER HOUSINGS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A HALOGEN HOUSING IS NOT A PROPER F***ING HOUSING!!!!! THE OUTPUT PATTERN IS NOT THE SAME!!!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
instead of going HID, if you want the blue tint, why not go Xenon??

Cheaper, and you dont need to change everything around.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Retrofit or Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, no other option in my opinion. Safer for all concerned and they look and perform better.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
i ran 6k in my old pickup (rodeo conversion). Aimed properly they light up more of the road and is crisper and cleaner light. ive never been ticketed or pulled over for them, never had people flash me except when i left the HI beams on (it was Bi-Xenon Hi/Low beam). They work great, and when my spacecab is done, it will have the same kit. ive also converted foglights over on other cars, those beams are even lower and wider without effecting on coming drivers. ive been blinded by stock headlights far out of alignment (no longer checked in NJ....)
just my .02
retrosolutions.com
was where i got mine. life time warranty. also got a set for my Honda Shadow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.