Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to introduce myself. Im a student at the U of T(Hookem Horns), majoring in marine biology. I was raised as an Army brat and lived all around the world. My real home now is in New Mexico and I love it. Now for the real Isuzu problem. I just inheriated an 04 Rodeo, the problem is the back is on stands and the center part of the alxe is out. There are 2 of them under the Rodeo. My step-mom said dad was putting in a different one, a no slip? So if anyone one could tell me the difference i would appricate it, and what it does? Thank You, Andie

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like he was putting in a "locker" so niether of the rear wheels can slip relativet o each other, as they can in an "open" differential. Is there a newer looking box sitting around that says ARB on it? He maybe didn't get it purchased yet. Sounds like he was making it into a more serious off-road machine. You don't need or want a lockng diff. on the street. Brad

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've looked the parts up and they are differentals. Mom said he was in the process of puting in a "no slip one". The problem is I dont know which is which, but you can easily see the difference in the two. There are no boxes or directions anywhere. Andie

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
He was probably putting in a limited slip (lsd). The lsd has clutches in the center most part, and the "open" one should just have smaller gears in the center most part(spider gears). I'll see if I can get you some pictures.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Here is a pic of the lsd

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sounds like he was putting in a "locker" so niether of the rear wheels can slip relativet o each other, as they can in an "open" differential. Is there a newer looking box sitting around that says ARB on it? He maybe didn't get it purchased yet. Sounds like he was making it into a more serious off-road machine. You don't need or want a lockng diff. on the street. Brad
I'm almost certain she wouldn't be happy with a Lincoln locker, but any of the selectable (ARB) or ratcheting-type (Powertrac, Aussie) lockers are perfectly fine for on-road use and offer the added capability for off-road use. If it's an LSD unit, then that is 'almost' up to the level of the ratcheting locker but not quite and is also quite desirable.

Cheers,

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D Thanks, I would love to go ahead and do everything he had planned for the Rodeo. Ive read all about the differental and i even think i can put it in now that i know which one to use. But now another question, I found a box with two springs in it. It was an Old Man Kiwi box. The springs in it have about the same space between the coils. The springs on the Rodeo have the coils closer together at the top and more of them. So had dad already installed the Old Man Kiwi springs? And was is a SAS? Thanks Andie

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol: It has to be the LSD, it has the little clutch plates in it. Andie

·
Registered
103 Posts
Andie, it is the Old Man Emu kit he is putting on the Rodeo it sounds like. It will give about 2" of lift to the rear, and just crank the torsion bars up front to level it out. Did he get new shocks also? And the limited slip should work well for most off road applications.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Cool, I guess he installed the old man "emu" springs already. once you get it back on the ground it will be lifted in the rear.
Does the lsd diff have the ring gear already on it?? If not I'd take to to a shop, the gears have to be setup in a certin way.

The springs look like this right?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I am so confused as to what is going on here. Do you have two different
complete axels or two different pumpkins (center part of the axel).

A stock 04' would have a Dana 44' lsd as standard equipment.
Who would touch that??

Do you have the 3.5 DI motor or the 3.2? Just curious.

I would not put the rear end in myself. There are alignment issues that
you might not be aware of. Personally the first couple times I did a rear
end install I ended up with a drive shaft viewable through the rear view
mirror:)

I would say ask the dad, but sounds like he went the way of the sun:(

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:D The spring and shock looks exacatly like your picture Onebad, but there is no red ring at the top of the spring. The gear is still on the regular differental and Im positive that was the one in the truck that he was replaceing. Seems dad bought the other one from someone here on Planetisuzoo. All he had was the differentals and not the entire rear axle. Thanks Andie

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Cool, the red ring is just a spacer used to get even more lift 8) .

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Can you get pics? I am so curious what the other one is.

BTW good score on a 04'. I am getting a 04' Axiom soon. I can not
wait till October. Same truck different skin.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one with the gear is a standard Isuzu Differental according to the picture at Isuzupartspeople and the other one is a Trac-Loc, the one with the cluch rings. Andie

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Are you ever going to take the truck offroad??? It would probably be easier to just put the factory one back in. It would probably take a shop to setup the other diff for you. Does the factory one still have the carrier bearings(big bearings on each end) on it?
If it does you can probably place the carrier back into the axle, and then just bolt down the bearing caps to the factory torq spec's and locktight.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They both have bearing on them. Ive read and I might be wrong, but seems to me you only have to worry about all that adjustment if you mess with the pinion gear? Thanks Andie

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You have to setup the carrier with the pinion. There are shims on both sides of the carrier. You can move the carrier left or right by the shims. Each ring gear/carrier are not the same, so there might be a need for adjustment . One other thing, Your going to have to use the stock ring gear( the one that was in there to begin with). The way gears are made, they are a matching pair. The pinion and ring gear are made to fit each other. In other words you can't take one ring gear and use it with a pinion thats not its factory pair......does that make any sence??? :?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.