Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As everyone probably knows by now Calmini is selling a 2.6 webber carb kit.
To me it seems like a conversion to a carb is a great idea.
The questions that I have are these:
1) Will my 88 pass smogg inspection with the carb?
2) How relieble are the webbers?
3) Is there a less expensive carb option?

Thank you.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Um' I think you mean Calmini sells the Weber carb kit for the 1.9 and the 2.3 , the 2.6 is fuel injected. I just checked Cal-mini's site and they make no mention of a 2.6 carb kit.

you could convert your 2.6 to carb by swaping the intake manifolds with a 2.3 , but I don't know why you would want to do that if your 2.6 is FI to begin with :?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right they don't make it for the 2.6 my typing was worse then usual last night ( No mean feat LOL)
And I don't think there was a 2.6 engine in the 88 model which is what my never ending project is. My question is on the 88 four banger.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ok you need to clarify some things.

1. In 88 they did have the 2.6L, I know my parent's Trooper has it.
2. What do you have? is it a Trooper or a Pup?
3. IN 88 I think they had both in the Pup, depending on it you had 4x4, or not I think. easy way to find out is to look under the hood. If you see a rather large round aircleaner housing sitting on top, and to the passanger's side a little of the valve cover, then you have a 2.3 carby.
If however you look and find a large black tube going across the top of the engine, and it leading to a black box on the front driver's side, then you have a 2.6L FI.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ok so you do have the 4ZE1, and a 88 Trooper, you didn't specify before what you had, other than it was an 88. great now I can answer your question since I now know what engine, and truck you have..

No, in short no there are no gains in having a carby setup over the EFI. the efi setup gives you a bit more power, better throtle response, and better gas milage. So I would recomend against swaping over to a carb setup. I'm quessing your in Cali since you asked about passing smog, I don't know if it would or not, but don't quote me on that.

Just in short, it would be more of a pain to swap over to a carb setup, and for what point??? you wouldn't be gaining anything out of doing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in NJ, that's just as bad.
Well, Calmini claims power gains, and the set up looks cool as hell.
I also hate the spagheti bowl of vacum hoses from the EFI.
So is there another option or are Webbers pretty much it?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Calmini claims power gains on the 2.3L, wich is .3L smaller than the 2.6L, and it comes with a crapy Hitachi carb to begin with so improvements aren't that hard to get.

I really recomend that you DON'T do the carb swap!!!! your going to be dicipointed with the results if you do!!!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
OK well the 2.6 is (as already mentioned) .3 bigger so there is already a big difference in the power ouputs from the 2.3 trooper with a carb to the 2.6 troopers. I have to admit i don't like the hoses on the 2.6 but it is a small price to pay to have a better running engine and more powerful engine. If you were to swap a carb on to the 2.6 you would not get the optimum fuel delivery to the engine so you wouldn't make the power that you make whit FI. The only reason Calmini advertises gains in power is because it is with a 2.3 that was already carbed not a 2.6 with FI. Sorry it is so long but hope this clears up any problems you have. If not ask away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK well the 2.6 is (as already mentioned) .3 bigger so there is already a big difference in the power ouputs from the 2.3 trooper with a carb to the 2.6 troopers. I have to admit i don't like the hoses on the 2.6 but it is a small price to pay to have a better running engine and more powerful engine. If you were to swap a carb on to the 2.6 you would not get the optimum fuel delivery to the engine so you wouldn't make the power that you make whit FI. The only reason Calmini advertises gains in power is because it is with a 2.3 that was already carbed not a 2.6 with FI. Sorry it is so long but hope this clears up any problems you have. If not ask away.

Got it Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.