Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after getting BENT over by the machine shop pressing on my new bearings, i could have bought a hydraulic press....jeez, i mean the work and quality is top notch and NO ONE presses bearings....but 200.00..........ugh!!!!! stupid NJ cost of living. anyway, has any one bought or used the 20 ton Harbor Freight press???? any good? feed back welcome!!
thanks
Ron

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Can't remember the tonnage of the Harbour Freight press I bought but I'm satisfied with it when you factor in cost. I may only use it a couple times a year but I've used it for straightening items, obviously pressing items, etc. Mine doesn't exactly sit all squared up (kind of leans) but I can no doubt correct that, just haven't taken the time. A guy I used to work with bought a HF press as well, higher tonnage and even automatic and he loves it. By automatic I of course mean a lever for up and down, not a jack handle.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
In a youtube video I saw a guy using one to press in bearings for his different carrier.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Oh man, please avoid Harbor Freight. Their stuff is crap.

lowzone said:
well after getting BENT over by the machine shop pressing on my new bearings, i could have bought a hydraulic press....jeez, i mean the work and quality is top notch and NO ONE presses bearings....but 200.00..........ugh!!!!! stupid NJ cost of living. anyway, has any one bought or used the 20 ton Harbor Freight press???? any good? feed back welcome!!
thanks
Ron

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some of it is. i have their 1700lb trailer, air compressor (6 years old 26 gallon), 14" cut off saw (freaking AWESOME), tool box full of hand tools and pry bars (OLD ones, new pry bars ARE CRAP), and 1 Ton engine hoist with ZERO issues. I buy their latex and work gloves, grinding wheels (DONT drop them or they will break on the grinder), cut off wheels....never had any major issues with cautiously purchased items. buy crap, get crap.....i dont use their wrenches as a 10mm is not really 10mm :).....

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,777 Posts
Jay said:
Generalizations are always wrong. ;)

Well, this one is.

What Ron said...

Jack

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jack, i have to say in whole HF stuff is crap.....you get what you pay for. for example i bought a one man brake bleeder, got the cheaper one, it was broke out of the box. i returned it and got the Mighty Vac one for TWICE the cost (30.00) and still have it till this day and it works GREAT! when you look at the wrenches and the casting is poor you can tell. i have their version of "Gear wrenches" and put them through he!!....and still work great. $25.00 10mm-19m HF or Sears $100.00 for the same kit (Gear wrench isnt covered by Sears warranty either, has to be CRAFTSMAN brand gear drives). you just have to be cautious and if you get burned enough times, i can agree with broad statements like HF is crap..... ask me about GM products one day :p you couldnt GIVE me one.... we all have our pet peeves about some brand or another. going outside to play!!! and some HF tools WILL be used today!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
In general, generalizations are wrong, I agree. In this case, it's not right OR wrong, just my generalization. My generalization is based on a drill press I bought second hand, and an hour I spent roaming the isles of my local HF. I was not impressed. In general, I would rather pay more for a good tool.
Enough generalizing?
What is it that 'they' say? YMMV.

JoeIsuzu said:
Jay said:
Generalizations are always wrong. ;)

Well, this one is.

What Ron said...

Jack

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I have a lot of HF stuff. The 4" grinder and "sawzall" I have from them get used a lot at work and 7 yrs later are still going. The sawzall may be stripping gears now, but for $15 who cares got my moneys worth. Just have to look at what you are buying. I have a lot of their wrenches and sockets (including gear wrenches) and never had an issue.

The last place I worked we had a Buffalo brand 4 ton press which is the same as HF's. The only issue we had was the top cross bar bent. Replaced it with some decently thick steel and it was fine after that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have had the 20 ton press for about 4 years now. It came with 2 heavy press plates that are pretty useful, but you will likely need a variety of pieces and parts to make use of it. Things like old bearing races, 1/2" and 3/4" Impact sockets, short pieces of heavy wall pipe, etc.).

Make sure that you use comon sense and safety gear at all times. One of the first things I used it for was to press out several kingpins on the front end of some 65 F100 project trucks (to swap in later model front disc brakes and power steering setups). This included a pair that were completely seized in the bore so bad that the front wheels could not be turned. When they broke free it was like a little explosion going off. The pin moved about 1/16" and the press jumped. I think I used every bit of 20 tons of force on those.

I think I got mine for right about $150 and have used it about 10-12 times all together. I agree it is hard to beat.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Jay said:
Yeah, I have fooled myself into one too many HF tools that suck. The last draw for me was vice grips. Bought a few different sizes for welding and the springs fall off, total crap. Never again for anything more than throw away stuff.

Bart

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Some HF stuff is crap, some isn't. I have several sets of HF impact sockets. The deep set I've had for nearly 10 years, using them frequently and sometimes not in a nice way. I have never broken one. I think I paid 15 bucks for each set. (metric and SAE deep and metric and SAE shallow). Other stuff is crap. I wouldn't buy a cordless tool from HF but I would buy some other cheapo tool if it's something I need now and will probably never use again. I did have their 12 ton press and it worked quite well. I bought a big set of angle wrenches that do a good job. Never going to put a ton of force on those anyway. I buy their cheap screwdrivers by the handful. They work just as good as most expensive screw drivers and will probably lose them anyway. I love my little terminal crimper pliers. about 5 bucks and they are solid and make super tight crimps.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
older HF tools were STRONGER. i have pry bar set thats 16 years old, bought before i had my house and still have them in my box. i use my MAC ones for heavy stuff but ive put some stress on them with no breakage. The new stuff SUCKS in quality. ive shattered a 22mm wrench with little effort, and i do use there grinders (come on 10.00 sales, i buy 3 at a time) and if they last a year each, im happy. i still hve their chop saw, works great, and just repaired the brushes (spring lost tension from heat) and works great...so its really a crap shoot....

·
Registered
280 Posts
I won't buy anything electric from HF or hand tools, but I did but the 20 ton press. Last time I had my half shafts out I couldn't get the inner bearings off the shaft and went to about 4 shop and everyone said they didnt have a press that could deal with the length of the shaft...some were even even kinda rude, like there's not enough money involved for them to bother.
So yeah, I think it was normally like $250 and I had a coupon and it we on sale out the door for $150. Those bearings seal I mention earlier got a bit banged up and no one had them locally. FINALLY got them online so I will be pulling the axles, doing a drop diff and replacing those seals/bearings. I have used it for a few things, even as a metal break. It will save me major headaches in the future and feel more capable with a press at my disposal.
They charged you $200?! I would have told them thanks but no thanks and went and picked up my own press. The only questionable part n the press from reviews I've read is the bottle jack, easily upgradable...
P.s. I put a thread up for people that like to weld...obviously no one likes to weld! Anyway check out this kit you can make for the 20 ton press, good video too.
http://www.swagoffroad.com/20-TON-Press ... _p_42.html

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, 200....no one would touch these bearings and even Jerry Lemond said it took all of 30 tons to break bearings loose on a 12 bolt he worked on.... my friend got the 12 ton and did hub bearings on a VW and it did ok. I have electric grinders and polishers, drills and 12" disc sander (thing ROCKS) from them with no issue and A LOT of abuse. 15.00 for a grinder, if it lasts a year im happy but i had my last one for 3 years, cut through the wire twice, replaced brushes....so worth it. hand tools...wrenches NO WAY, snapped a 22mm taking a hanger bolt off...almost killed me. pry bars, NEVER...MAC or Snap On for those....but other hand tools, like their colored gear wrenches work great...and screwdrivers, no problems. but just my opinion

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've purchased ALOT of stuff through HF over the years and yes, some of it has been total crap. Bought a P/S pulley puller set that broke the first time I used it and no, it didn't get the pulley off. But that being said, alot of the stuff I have bought over the years has been great. The impact sockets are almost indestructible, the LARGE wrenches (I have all the way up to 2") are plenty strong, I have an air grinder that I've used/abused for close to 10 years with no issues. You just have to be selective when purchasing from them. I looked at that same press your talking about and think it would be a good purchase. If the hydraulic jack goes out, like was said before, easily upgradeable. Have also had good luck with the little "sets" you can get from them. The crimp style solderless connectors, small clips, etc. always inexpensive and will get you out of a bind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts