Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got a '99 Rodeo w/ a little over 150k miles on it. Cosmetically good, needs tires, thinking of going with something larger but don't want to lift anything. Have 16" alloys on there now with stock tires. Also, have A/C compressor bearing ringing really bad at higher rpms and either bad valve lifter tick or timing belt tensioner going out?

Recently drained trans fluid thinking it was the oil (a few too many beers on memorial day!) and put waay too much oil in the engine. It didn't want to drive anywhere after that. Shook and shuddered it about 1/2 mile away and filled the trans and she's okay again.. for now..

Also, when I bought this thing, I didn't know about the loss of a quart of oil every 1000 miles. and at the first oil change they only filled up with 4 quarts instead of 5.2??? Uhm, anyway, when I changed the oil 4500 miles later, it was bone dry for at least 500 miles... Still runs strong though... somehow??? (oil light never came on - but shop opened oil plug and literally NOTHING drained out of it!)

also - serp belt broke after tensioner pulley bearing died and wobbled - causing the belt to whip around the engine compartment and slice through a cable harness with about 2 dozen conductors! reconnected all but the airbag wires (scared!) - replaced blown fuses - but the O2 sensors are fried I think - CEL is on...

and.... the list goes on and on... the fuel level sensor is shot - so I count up the miles between fill ups.

Can't decide to keep it or trade it in? Need some encouragement from others I guess - so that's why I'm here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Welcome to the planet

Folks normally don't answer questions in this part of forumn,they get lost quickly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I get that - I just wanted to whine and gripe a little about my truck :)

I'll tool around the different forums and see what answers I can find. I' really excited about this site..

Thanks for the welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
Welcome to the ZOO, Daniel !

Where are you located ?

DanielHerbert77 said:
Also, when I bought this thing, I didn't know about the loss of a quart of oil every 1000 miles. and at the first oil change they only filled up with 4 quarts instead of 5.2??? Uhm, anyway, when I changed the oil 4500 miles later, it was bone dry for at least 500 miles... Still runs strong though... somehow??? (oil light never came on - but shop opened oil plug and literally NOTHING drained out of it!)
Let that be a lesson to you. :wink:

Do your own maintenance.

Check the oil, trans fluid, and coolant, at least every other time that you fill it up with gas.

DanielHerbert77 said:
also - serp belt broke after tensioner pulley bearing died and wobbled - causing the belt to whip around the engine compartment and slice through a cable harness with about 2 dozen conductors! reconnected all but the airbag wires (scared!) - replaced blown fuses - but the O2 sensors are fried I think - CEL is on...
Disconnect the battery, and leave it disconnected overnight. Then with it still disconnected, reconnect the airbag wires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Jeff!

Definitely learned a lesson there - well, actually a few of them so far with this truck :)

Yeah, I read all the precautions about disconnecting power completely so there's no difference in electrical potential between the two yellow conductors, but I really dread blowing out my airbags - so it's a bit nerve wracking ??? I suppose it's worth the safety concern though.

I'm located in lovely - super tiny Delaware (near Philadelphia)...

Any instructions on how to attach a pic to my signature here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
DanielHerbert77 said:
Thanks, Jeff!

Definitely learned a lesson there - well, actually a few of them so far with this truck :)

Yeah, I read all the precautions about disconnecting power completely so there's no difference in electrical potential between the two yellow conductors, but I really dread blowing out my airbags - so it's a bit nerve wracking ??? I suppose it's worth the safety concern though.

I'm located in lovely - super tiny Delaware (near Philadelphia)...

Any instructions on how to attach a pic to my signature here?
That's why I said to leave it disconnected overnight. That way, there is no question that it is not going to get a zap from some capacitor somewhere, like in an alarm system.

Upload the pic somewhere on the web, and link to it here, in your signature.

For the sake of common courtesy, please keep the pic size moderate. No bigger than Bansil's ECORS pic. Drinksoptional has found a great balance between keeping it small, but not so small that you can't really see his truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Welcome to the Planet! :)

I saw your post on my thread but I'll say it here too..
Glad we could all help you convince you to keep your Rodeo! Post some pics up and let us know when you start doing those upgrades!!
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top