Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport V6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport V6 4WD. 186k Miles.
I bought this car in February and have only been able to put on about 50 miles since. In the 50 miles I got a fresh tank of gas, oil change, all new fluids, and a new battery.

It stopped running in early March and I didn't have much time to mess with it until a few weeks ago in June.
I replaced the fuel pump, and it ran for a day after that. Drove about 15 miles, then it stopped running again.
I got codes P1290, P0463, P0135, P0155, P0452, and P0134.
With that, I cleaned the throttle, EGR, and the tube that connects the two. It was completely clogged with gunk, but it's now cleared out.
After that, it still wouldn't start, but those codes cleared and I got a set of new codes:
P1125, P1295, P1120, and P1220.
With that I replaced the throttle position sensor, and now I'm down to:
P1125, P1295, and P1515.
I know P1125 and P1295 are a result of P1515.
Since I've had P1515 I've cleaned and tightened the grounds, and I've just cleaned the MAF Sensor.
Now I have P1516, and am at a loss. I can get the car started for about 30 seconds using starting fluid, it'll rev up to 4000rpm a few times, then go into reduced power. I bounce around at 200-400rpms and slowly die out.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I can try??
Thank you in advance...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Whoops, glanced right over the fuel pump replacement. Others will hopefully chime in with more specific info, but perhaps hooking up a gauge to the test port on the fuel rail will tell you if you are receiving the proper pressure. Did you change the fuel filter at the same time?

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Hello! I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport V6 4WD. 186k Miles.
I bought this car in February and have only been able to put on about 50 miles since. In the 50 miles I got a fresh tank of gas, oil change, all new fluids, and a new battery.

It stopped running in early March and I didn't have much time to mess with it until a few weeks ago in June.
I replaced the fuel pump, and it ran for a day after that. Drove about 15 miles, then it stopped running again.
I got codes P1290, P0463, P0135, P0155, P0452, and P0134.
With that, I cleaned the throttle, EGR, and the tube that connects the two. It was completely clogged with gunk, but it's now cleared out.
After that, it still wouldn't start, but those codes cleared and I got a set of new codes:
P1125, P1295, P1120, and P1220.
With that I replaced the throttle position sensor, and now I'm down to:
P1125, P1295, and P1515.
I know P1125 and P1295 are a result of P1515.
Since I've had P1515 I've cleaned and tightened the grounds, and I've just cleaned the MAF Sensor.
Now I have P1516, and am at a loss. I can get the car started for about 30 seconds using starting fluid, it'll rev up to 4000rpm a few times, then go into reduced power. I bounce around at 200-400rpms and slowly die out.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I can try??
Thank you in advance...
DTC P1516 is a correlation error between the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) Commanded throttle valve position and the Actual throttle valve position as reported by the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). The P1125 and P1295 DTC’s are set because P1516 is set.

There may be an electrical problem involving the throttle valve positioning motor or a mechanical problem in the throttle valve gearing. Remove the air inlet tube from the throttle body so you can observe the operation of the throttle valve. Place the Ignition Switch in the Run position. Have a helper slowly operate the accelerator pedal from idle to wide open and back to idle several times. See if the throttle valve opens and shuts smoothly without binding or jerking.

Problems in the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system can cause the PCM to initiate a forced engine shutdown state which is likely the reason your engine shuts down. The Reduced Power lamp being illuminated indicates an ETC system fault.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoops, glanced right over the fuel pump replacement. Others will hopefully chime in with more specific info, but perhaps hooking up a gauge to the test port on the fuel rail will tell you if you are receiving the proper pressure. Did you change the fuel filter at the same time?
I haven't replaced the fuel filter. Will try checking the pressure later. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DTC P1516 is a correlation error between the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) Commanded throttle valve position and the Actual throttle valve position as reported by the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). The P1125 and P1295 DTC’s are set because P1516 is set.

There may be an electrical problem involving the throttle valve positioning motor or a mechanical problem in the throttle valve gearing. Remove the air inlet tube from the throttle body so you can observe the operation of the throttle valve. Place the Ignition Switch in the Run position. Have a helper slowly operate the accelerator pedal from idle to wide open and back to idle several times. See if the throttle valve opens and shuts smoothly without binding or jerking.

Problems in the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system can cause the PCM to initiate a forced engine shutdown state which is likely the reason your engine shuts down. The Reduced Power lamp being illuminated indicates an ETC system fault.
I will take a look later and get back to you. Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The throttle opens all the way up when floored and closes all the way when I take my foot off the gas. Moves very smoothly.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Did you check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with the Ignition Switch in Run before cranking the engine?

·
Registered
1993 Trooper 5spd
9 Posts
Always replace the fuel filter when you replace the pump. A clogged filter could be the root cause of your failed pump. Best to replace the pump relay as well. Don’t want any comebacks!

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Fuel Pressure gauge connected to the Fuel Pressure test fitting located on the LH fuel rail.
Key On Engine Off no crank SB about 40 psi and remain close to that for several minutes.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
When the Ignition Switch is placed in the Run position the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will energize the Fuel Pump Relay for about three seconds. When the Fuel Pump Relay is energized it provides +12 Vdc to the Fuel Pump via the Fuel Pump fuse. Check the fuse and make sure it is not blown, the fuse is located in the engine compartment fuse.

Also, be sure to watch the gauge as the Ignition Switch is operated, if you have a leak the pressure may drop to zero quickly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When the Ignition Switch is placed in the Run position the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will energize the Fuel Pump Relay for about three seconds. When the Fuel Pump Relay is energized it provides +12 Vdc to the Fuel Pump via the Fuel Pump fuse. Check the fuse and make sure it is not blown, the fuse is located in the engine compartment fuse.

Also, be sure to watch the gauge as the Ignition Switch is operated, if you have a leak the pressure may drop to zero quickly.
Changed out the relay and fuses, still won't start. How do I look for leaks?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts