Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here's the issue:

My passenger front wheel and tire have a wobble top to bottom as I'm driving down the road. I causes jerking to the right. Sometimes when I stop and check it the wheel is sitting true and other times the top is angled out. looking at the trooper from the front it would look like this

\ |

and at other points in the like this

| |

I don't think the wheel is bent and when I jacked it up, there was less than a half inch of play in and out when pushing/pulling top and bottom. no play from front to back.

What to do?

Also, I noticed, when I was underneath that the CV boot is cracked...doubt it has any direct corralation as I remember it being cracked a few weeks prior to this happening...also, the issue must have matured over the course of a few days because I can't remember it actually starting this issue, just that I began to realize it was there and getting worse.

ball joint? tie rod? something else I can't think of?

Thanks for any help you can give guys (and gals),

Brian

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Check that the spacers are still in the crossshafts for the upper control arms and the through bolts are actually tight.

Also this problem might be a bad ball joint that you cannot feel by jacking the vehicle up incorrectly.

Here:

Jack ONE front wheel of the ground by placing the jack as far out and near to the lower ball joint as possible.

This jack position unloads both the upper ball joint and the lower from spring pressure and you can actually find if they are bad or not this way.

NOW test for play.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I've heard control arm bushings squeak, but never a ball joint make a noise unless it's just a crunching noise when the steering is moved or there's a lot of suspension deflection off-road.

My wife had a ball joint fail and the lower control arm dropped off without so much as a whimper from it beforehand.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SurferJoe said:
Six more times for emphasis!
Alright you little chuckle monkeys...

It ended up being the cross shaft bolts as Surfer Joe suggested. Everything is cruising well now. Thanks!

It ended up being the cross shaft bolts as Surfer Joe suggested. Everything is cruising well now. Thanks!

:roll: :lol:

·
Registered
169 Posts
1. I'd check the cross shaft bolts... they might be loose!!!
2. I'd check the cross shaft bolts... they might be loose!!!
3. I'd check the cross shaft bolts... they might be loose!!!
4. I'd check the cross shaft bolts... they might be loose!!!
5. I'd check the cross shaft bolts... they might be loose!!!
6. I'd check the cross shaft bolts... they might be loose!!!
Seriously...I think I have the same kind of problem...
'92 Amigo and it wants to "wander" and the steering feels REAL sloppy.
I will check the...what were they again...? oh yeah, the cross shaft bolts today!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.