Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 99 trooper and discovered that the outer cv boots were split in the same place on both sides of the vehicle.
Looks like there is still plenty of grease in there. Should I just replace the boot or the whole cv? Also looks like the ball joint boots are cracked as well. Plenty of grease in them but still split open. Same question do I replace the boot or the whole ball joint?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
if it was me and the CV is in good shape just replace the boots. I used the Maetech kit from independant4x and love them. Just clean and add new grease. good time to repack the front bearings and add manual hubs. There are pics of the job in my 2nd sig link.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
On the CVs I would go with just a cleaning and new boots as long as they arent clicking. I've never replaced just boots on ball joints before, if you dont know how long they've been on there I would go ahead and replace them.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Adding manual hubs will make it to where your axles arnt spinning and getting wear on them. Might help with gas milage a bit to. How do your axles look ??? think you can get sway with just doing boots ??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The axles look pretty good so I think I can just replace the boots. There is a lot of play in my steering so I think that may have something to do with the ball joint or tie rods? If I am going to replace the cv boots I may as well address everything else while Im in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts