Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any pointers? Straight forward? Any help is appreciated. I have excessive movement from the engine/transmission and figured its time to replace this. I have done tons of VW mounts in the past, but never on a rodeo. TIA

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Very straight forward. Unbolt, lift, remove and install the new one.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Joe's right - there's really nothing difficult about swapping the transmission mount. --- But after reading this line...

R3 said:
I have excessive movement from the engine/transmission and figured its time to replace this.
...and noting that you included the ENGINE - I hope I’m wrong, but - I'm wondering if the transmission mount is really the problem.

I was having the same trouble with mine, and just like you, I reasoned that it was probably the transmission mount… so Rubo and I replaced it in Uwharrie with one that Joe Darlington brought me â€" but it didn’t make a bit of difference… in fact, the one that we took out looked perfectly fine - And the movement I was experiencing didn’t go away either.

So, a few weeks ago I had a local shop replace my engine mounts (it’s a much harder job - one there is NO WAY that *I* would attempt doing myself!)… The old driver’s side mount showed signs of contact between the ‘buffer’ and the outer-most support wall â€" which seemed to indicate a misalignment of some sort. --- Anyway, afterward, with the new ones in-place, every time I’ve cold-started the engine, it has still clattered just like before.

This may only apply to mine, but it’s starting to look like maybe I bent the frame last April when I whacked that big rock… this would certainly account for the evidence on the driver’s side mount that the engine might be sitting a wee-bit over to one side.

Anyhow â€" I’ve written all of this as a foundation for this question:
Have you thumped yours very hard on anything lately?

If not, then replacing the transmission mount (and/or perhaps the engine mounts too) might just take care of it. --- But if you have, then this might be a bigger problem than you originally thought.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that it’s just one of the mounts. --- I’m SOOOOOOOO not looking forward to tracking it down on mine.

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine doesnt visually move when revved, but I can feel movement when shifting, etc which let me to believe that there is a transmission mount issue. I got the mount today and will install it shortly and let you know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I installed the mount. VERY easy with a lift and airtools. I had a strange rubbing sound that happened with moderate acceleration and found that it was the downpipe on the passenger side rubbing on a skid plate.

Once the new mount was installed it raised the engine/transmission enough to clear the skid plate, but I also modified the plate to ensure that it would never rub in the future.

Much less trouble shifting. I dont have to wait for the trans/engine to settle before shifting again.

Problem solved. Runs like a champ, and now much smoother. Not too shabby for a $1300.00 auction car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.