Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first time user of Planetisuzoo, I have a problem with the boot and coil removal on one plug in my 2002 Trooper.

This is my second Trooper, first was '92 and I drove it 10 years. I replaced plugs in that one several times, no problem.

My 2002 now has 96,000 mi and I was able to remove all other plugs except the on on driver side of engine, nearest firewall. Cannot get the boot and coil to release from the engine.

I used air pressure to remove the first 5 and it worked like a charm, but, number 6 is not budging.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! 1papa7[/b]

·
Registered
330 Posts
You know, there is a search function on this forum. It is not the greatest, but it helps.

Some had suggested spraying WD40 and using air.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had the same problem on my 01 Rodeo (similar plug/boot setup) and I had to use plug boot pliers / grabbers. I think they're meant for the old style plugs attached to a wire but they worked. They're basically a pair of tongs with rubber around the grab parts so you don't eat into the boots.

I folded the top piece of the boot in on two sides and shoved the boot pliers into the cylinder and grabbed the boot. I was then able to twist the boot and pull up and it did eventually come off. I really thought I was going to destroy it though. I didn't.

Keep working at it! My problem seemed to be caused by a lot of corrosion within the plug wire where it meets the plug. I used a good bit of dielectric grease when putting in the new plugs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Remember to use Dialectric Grease next time!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.