Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OEM leaf spring shackle is stuck in the upper mount on the frame. I am taking them off to add lift shackles. Any ideas on how to remove or loosen it up. I have been banging on it for hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated. See pic below for a better look of the one thats stuck and then the one with the shackle installed.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
some times you can put a prybar between the body and on the bolt(threaded part)apply pressure like your pushing it thru,then at same time move shackle forward and backwards while appling pressure

or

take a drill bit and drill a hundred holes threw the rubber bushing,and hit center part and bolt out,then take a hack saw and cut whats left down to the mount(inside)and then you can pry it out with a chisel(the cut in the outside bushing will release it)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yup your going to need new bushings for sure. Nice shackles ;)

Try some penetrating oil and attach a vice grip to it and use a dead blow hammer on the vice grip.

If that doesn't work use heat but it stinks and makes a lot of smoke.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I recall mine being a real b**tch. I took a very large screwdriver and hammered it up between the lone bracket piece and the frame and continued loosening the bolt. Wham wham wham on the screwdriver and crank crank crank.

I think at some point I switched to a crowbar. But you get the idea. It'll come out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys. Ended up drilling out the bushing with a drill a little at a time. Was a real pain in the butt. But ended up with some real quality shackles made by member betterthanyou in canada for a decent price and the only person to offer a 3" lift for such a low price. All others are a 1.5 to 2" lift and most are out of stock.

·
Registered
160 Posts
step 1 ) Hit it with a hammer
step 2 ) If it doesnt work, get a bigger hammer
step 3 ) Start over at step 1

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
step 1 ) Hit it with a hammer
step 2 ) If it doesnt work, get a bigger hammer
step 3 ) Start over at step 1
Save yourself the trouble and START with a big hammer! I used a 3lb sledge and a center pin punch on Blackie. NO PROBLEMS!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
solidrk881 said:
Thanks for the replys. Ended up drilling out the bushing with a drill a little at a time. Was a real pain in the butt. But ended up with some real quality shackles made by member betterthanyou in canada for a decent price and the only person to offer a 3" lift for such a low price. All others are a 1.5 to 2" lift and most are out of stock.
No it wont be a 3" lift. You cannot make a 3" shackle lift safely. It will give you about a 2" lift. They are longer than Indy shackles but not long enough to make a true 3" lift. A 3" lift shackle would be over 10" long.

To get the extra inch you will need to install add-a-leafs or buy OME Springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.