Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will sound confusing but stay with me lol. My buddy Alex is with his friend and they just bought a 91 pickup for alex's buddy. They were on there way home from Baltimore and it just died. Its a lowered 91 2.3 5 speed truck and they are getting Spark and fuel to the Carb. Timing belt is turning and all seems well. Was running great and had driven about 75 miles when pulling to a stop light as the guy pushed in the clutch it just died. Lowzone and I have been on the phone with my friend for last hour and half. Any ideas or anybody here who can help go look at the truck. Alex is a great mechanic but doesn't know Isuzus well and the new owner of the truck Im not sure of his abilities. Please pm me for address or a phone number if you can go help. They have no tools and are a ways from home in New Jersey Thanks for baring with me and my Confusing story lol. Any ideas you guys can post here would be greatly appreciated as well.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
That carb might have a fuel cut off solenoid. Could be stuck closed, an old car of mine used to do it alot. A few taps usually got it going again but in later years I had to replace it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys. Well he thinks its the Timing belt jumped time or the ecu died because it wont fire on either and the plugs arent fowled. They even changed plugs but have ended up calling a tow truck and will get it towed to a local shop to see whats wrong. Its hard to diagnose over a phone, and alex knows that and knows carbs but with out any tools its really hard. So we will all know tomorrow what was wrong. Thanks to all for the help and for the pms for help! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Timing belt was my first guess, too (knowing there is fuel coming into the carb and spark at the plugs). Hope your buddy gets his repairs done without too much hassle. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well see except the cam was still turning. Well he txted me and says a mechanic said it was locked up that the cam was bone dry so no oil pressure. I dont understand that because it still turned over.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'd have to call BS on that mechanic. You're right, if there was no oil getting to the cam and it was "locked up", it wouldn't still be turning. I think the timing belt could've just stripped some teeth, and the mechanic might just be wanting some extra cash for the weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts